Klein Attitude Team as per 1991 Catalogue

Raymond_mole

Retro Guru
I have been very much in the Retrobike background with regards to this current project as I knew it was going to take an age to complete.
I didnt think it would take this long but nearly five years have past since first getting my hands on the frameset and I'm not sure it will even get completed this year.
My goal is for it to look exactly as it did in the 1991 catalogue (I still have from back in the day).
Why an Attitude?
As a teenager BITD the attitude was for dreams only but I had just scraped up enough money to get a Rascal frameset. (Black/Green Fade) I absolutely adored it, Full XT with RC30 forks and matching syncros bits. Alas this was stolen from the bike sheds at school and I was back on my old Technium Chill, desperate to get my hands on a new bike!
I had saved enough money from cleaning dishes all summer at the pub and was ready to handover all my hard earnt cash for a Dolomite frameset in my local bikeshop.
Once at the shop the Klein had been sold and in its place was a Pace RC100 (link here viewtopic.php?f=6&t=52517) and the rest is pretty much history.
I always lusted after a Klein when I saw other people racing them even though I was thoroughly happy with the Pace, they just looked so refined, but it was never to be until I stumbled upon this site.
From this point on I'm sure its the same story for anyone else on the site. Steady income, Still riding but looking to relive the old days as the modern bikes just arent cutting it.

Anyway I've rambled on for long enough, gonna put up some pics etc. so you get an idea of where I'm at lets see how it goes.

Attachments

• DSC03479a.jpg
    DSC03479a.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 1,978
  • Klein Spec Sheet Zoomed.jpeg
    Klein Spec Sheet Zoomed.jpeg
    138.5 KB · Views: 1,976
  • Klein Spec sheet and price list 1991.jpeg
    Klein Spec sheet and price list 1991.jpeg
    124.7 KB · Views: 1,977
  • Klein Attitude 1991.jpeg
    Klein Attitude 1991.jpeg
    113.4 KB · Views: 1,977
  • Klein 1991 FC.jpeg
    Klein 1991 FC.jpeg
    109.6 KB · Views: 1,977
The main reason it is taking so long to build it back to its former glory is getting hold of NOS Centaur parts.
I'm sure that if I had been glued to the pc day and night I could have done it in a fraction of the time but thats a little unrealistic with work and kids etc.
Some of the parts that I have found are not quite as pictured in the catalogue. Initially I wasn't bothered but as time has gone by I have relised that if I'm going through all of this effort I may as well do it right.

Attachments

• Centaur Bits.jpg
    Centaur Bits.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 1,958
Awesome.

Did the same , but a brochure spec XT build.

Watching with interest. The question is , when will you take it for it's first offroad ride ;)

Signing up to follow progress, looks like you have some great parts ready. Also looks like you have an early Attitude there with box forks and solid black decals, is it booked in for paint?, I guess so.
Good luck with it, here is a little inspiration. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=228801&p=1720280#p1720280

Cheers, Ash.

@ treacle
She has been all over the country with me and is by far the best ride in the stable, however and as much as it pains me so, once she is built she will not be ridden in anger by me again.
I'm even struggling to come to terms with un boxing the campagnolo stuff as I know how long hard and how much I've paid for it all.

@ vinevo
I am on my third email to Etoe but not getting very far.
All I know is that they are spraying dolomite between February and June and that I have to put up 30%,
I don't have problem with either but they won't send bank details over so I can pay a deposit.
**8/1/14 Update**
I am officially on the waiting list.
http://www.etoe.de/

Really nice project.
If I am not wrong you have a 1990 frame for the complete black decals.
Do you will build it up with campy components as a team issue spec?
Waiting to see the next step of this fantastic project.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 1,858
Back