1991/92 Fat Chance Yo Eddy

Archangel

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Received today my first steel bike since 1990.
It's a Yo Eddy In gloss black in size Medium.

I bought this for I built my Merlin XLM too nice and I don't dare to ride it (will sell it soon). I needed a retro bike that I can ride and not having to fear about any scratches or devaluation because of usage.
The purchase was a bit of a step into an unknown since the advert was not very descriptive.

The serial is 369Y1M which I reckon is a medium frame made in 1991. However, considering the Suntour parts seem to be original and the MD group arrived for 1992, this could be a bike made in late 1991 as a 1992 model year item.

It's a complete bike with Suntour XC Pro MicroDrive 7 spd drivetrain, Dia-Compe SS-7/987 brakes, Ritchey bar & post, etc.
The fork is Manitou 4 and it seems to be in a great condition.

After the first examination, here are the pleasant and nasty surprises:
Positive:
* No rust! :D
* Chris King no-logo headset
* White Industries front hub

Negative:
* The worst one is that the bike has 2 dents on the frame, one in the toptube and a second one in the right seat stay near the dropout. I knew about the toptube so that's acceptable.
* Press-fit BB. I would have preferred a threaded shell with XC Pro Grease Guard BB. Luckily the press-fit one spins alright.
* The silver King headset has been originally purple, someone has de-anodized it :(
* XC Pro RD seems to be broken (will have to see if it could be repaired)

The black colour is utterly boring but since this will be a rider, at least I don't have to worry about the paint.

Re: 1992(?) Fat Chance Yo Eddy!

if its this one
$(KGrHqF,!rMFJkM!HsNsBScBZfim7g~~60_57.JPG

then the parts alone are worth the price and as you say its a rider :cool:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yo-Eddie-Fat-Ch ... 7675.l2557

I was surprised this didnt get snapped up sooner, it was up for a while then got sold and relisted.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

That's the one ;)
I guess the dent + very high shipping cost put people off and the seller was not willing to ship abroad (although it was fairly easy to persuade him to do that).

With very high shipping cost + customs fees + VAT, the total price I paid was over 3x the purchase price. :(

Its a good bike - i like the fact its xc pro too.

theres a black one on here with silver finishing kit and it looked simply stunning.

Managed to fix (at least seems so) the rear derailleur! :D

Some new parts have also arrived:
- Ringlé Zooka stem
- Ringlé Moby Post seatpost
- Ringlé H2O bottle cage
- Answer Hyperlite handlebar
- Control Tech bolt-on titanium skewers
- Suntour XC Pro MicroDrive 7 spd cassette (NOS)

As a seat I'm going to use the Flite Transalp from Merlin.

The biggest question is the fork. The easiest way of course would be to stuck with the Mani 4.
I also bought a Manitou 1 fork (needs new elastomers and seals) and I'm contemplating should I restore it or not. It would need also a new steerer.
Rock Shox Mag 20/21 would be nice but hard to get serviced anymore and for a rider that's a necessity.
One option could be Pace RC35 or some rigid fork. Fat's own Yo Eddy or BOI would be cool but I don't want to pay an arm and a leg for a fork.

Slow progress with the Yo.
Ringlé stem & post, Flite, Hyperlites, and Control Tech bolt-on skewers installed.

That's a big improvement already, it now looks great! I have the same frame that I'll build in the spring. :)

Thanks mate!

On the fork front, I have a Manitou 1 fork which I might try out since it's more the same vintage as the bike. Just need to get a 1" threadless steerer and new elastomers for it. In any case I'll probably stick with an elastomer fork because of the way easier maintenance compared to air/oli forks.

Back