Kona Lava Dome - 1990

Splatter Paint

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
This was an itch that needed scratching, reputedly the worse Kona ever made! Photos are from the eBay advert, and the first ride, pre and post mud. Overhaul consisted of a long struggle trying to remove the seat post, greasing everything then replacing the cables that were frayed. I originally fitted some crap wheels but got a set with the correct, black Araya RX-7 rims. T-Cut & Mer polish works wonders :D

I actually think it rides very well, a really forgiving ride and the stem makes the steering far sharper than my Fire Mountain. In short, I like it :cool:

Frame: 1990 Kona Lava Dome – Tange DB steel (18”)
Fork: Kona Project Two (1”)

Headset: Sealed Tech
Stem: Kona ICR
Handlebar: Kona MTB Cromoly
Grips: Kona

Brakes: Dia Compe X-1 cantilever
Brake Pads: Dia Compe

Cantilever cable hangers: Dia Compe
Brake Levers: Shimano Dia Compe Shortstop

Shifters: Suntour X-1
Front Derailleur: Suntour X-1
Rear Derailleur: Suntour X-1
Cassette: Shimano Hyperglide
Chain: Shimano
Cranks: Sakae SR X-1
Crank Bolts: Suntour
Chainrings: Sakae SR Powerings
Chainring bolts: Sakae
Bottom Bracket: Tange with greasesealer
Pedals: - Wellgo

Hub Skewers: Shimano
Rims: Araya RX-7
Hubs: Shimano Exage
Nipples: ?
Spokes: Stainless
Tyres: WTB / Halfords!
Tubes: Chen Shin

Saddle: Avocet Racing 1
Seatpost: Valvert
Seatpost Binder: unknown

Weight: ~30lbs ish.

SP

Attachments

• Lava_Swinley_Post.JPG
    Lava_Swinley_Post.JPG
    120.6 KB · Views: 1,171
  • Lava_Swinley_Pre.JPG
    Lava_Swinley_Pre.JPG
    122.7 KB · Views: 1,169
  • Lava_Dome_eBay.jpg
    Lava_Dome_eBay.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 1,169
Really nice job you've done there mate. I don't know why they get bad press,i had one and it was a really nice bike to ride. It carried speed really well,steering was sharp like you say just X1 brakes were a bit scary at times :)

Good work, Mike :) I had one too, it was my first decent MTB in 1991. It's got it's limitations of course, but no way a bad bike. The Suntour stuff is a bit clunky compared to Shimano of the time, but it's still a well designed bike that rides alright. Compared to same price-point competition from GT, Specialized,Trek etc, it was a winner ~ Konas always looked way cooler! :)

I would say I'd come for a ride at Swinley again with you (but you will leave me for dead again :) ). Always thought that these couldn't be that bad and by replacing the rear wheel for a Shimano hubbed one the main disadvantage of Suntour has been removed, If you chuck a £5 set of NOS XC SE rear brakes (1990 parts from further up the range) the rear braking should be improved no end too.

Carl.

So happy to see this bike. One of these was my first serious MTB following on from a Raleigh Maverick.By the time I sold my Lavadome in '95/'96 only the frame, forks and cranks were left from the original!

Cheers for the comments guys :D we must do a Swinley retro-ride when the weather is better.

I'd like to swap this for a 19" version if anyone is interested.

SP

Re:

Bump, the shite wheels are now the correct Araya ones but on Exage hubs with stainless spokes, the cable inners are all brand new and it has new brake pads. Ready to rumble! Still looking for a 19".

SP

Attachments

• SAM_2764.JPG
    SAM_2764.JPG
    146 KB · Views: 578
I've read that it was Kona themselves, who stated that this was the worst bike they ever made. Does anyone know why they think that?

Back