1994 Brodie Sovereign

timoshenko

Old School Hero
Some may remember when this bike was posted for sale in July of last year. The sale process was somewhat prolonged and in the end I received the frame, with a repaint by Toxik Harold and the Syncros Seatpost. This was fine as it was the frame I was after in the first place. I've been acquiring parts for over a year and although I don't yet have all my planned parts I decided to built it up into a rideable state yesterday with what I had on hand.

Frame: 19" Brodie Sovereign, fabricated June 19th, 1994 (Originally Metallic Black, now ORT Green)
Fork: 1 1/8" Brodie GatorBlades

Headset: Chris King Wide Body with Grip Nut
Stem: 1 1/8" Brodie Quill with thru-stem routing, fabricated in 1991 (Reach is 150mm which is a bit too long for me so I plan to have it modified to 130mm)
Handlebar: Moots Titanium 23"
Grips: WTB Original Trail Grips

Front & Rear Brakes: Joe's Brakes
Brake Pads: Kool Stop Thinline
Cantilever cable hangers: Joe's Hangers
Brake Cables: XTR with Wheels Mfg Ferrules

Shifters & Brake Lever: XTR M900
Front Derailleur: XTR M900
Rear Derailleur: XTR M900
Derailleur Cables: XTR with Wheels Mfg Ferrules
Cassette: XTR M900 12-28T
Chain: KMC X9SL
Cranks: Raceface Turbine (cloverleaf), 175mm
Crank Bolts: Syncros Crank o' Matics
Chainrings: Shimano SGX 46T, 36T, Onza Buzzsaw 26T
Bottom Bracket: TNT Titanium, 114mm (still in transit, so currently using a Deore XT)
Pedals: Crank Bros Eggbeaters w/ custom Titanium Axles

Hub Skewers: NukeProof Titanium
Rims: Mavic 231, 32H
Hubs: NukeProof Titanium, 32H (Rear Hub acquired, still looking for matching front)
Tires: TBD, blackwall
(Current wheelset is a placeholder until I find a suitable front hub and build up the planned wheelset)

Saddle: Selle Italia Flite
Seatpost: Syncros Titanium 27.2x300
Seatpost Clamp: DKG

Weight:TBD

There are still some finishing touches required most notably adding the final wheelset, the forks could use a repaint, and the stem is a bit longer than I need. Hopefully I can get these sorted over the winter.

Lovely job Crispin :cool:

What a transformation! Looks (and probably rides) so much better.

Only thing I would add, and something you probably already know, the Joe's cables hangers usually would be installed with the face outward, makes them easier to adjust and dial-in. Of course facing outward makes them great mud catchers, I think that's why many install reversed.

Great color as well.

raidan73":1mr9ctcr said:

Thanks Adrian, I was looking at your build thread in reference to the serial number. Mine's serial number 3278 built on June 19th 1994. I believe yours is 3572 and Paul said it was built in January 1994. Maybe he meant 1995?

Mr.Toad":3bce9588 said:
What a transformation! Looks (and probably rides) so much better.

Only thing I would add, and something you probably already know, the Joe's cables hangers usually would be installed with the face outward, makes them easier to adjust and dial-in. Of course facing outward makes them great mud catchers, I think that's why many install reversed.

Great color as well.

Thanks, I haven't really had a chance to ride it yet as we've been a bit snowed in here in Toronto. The Bomber that was on the original bike would have really thrown the handling off.

When I'm setting up the brakes, I have the hangers reversed for easier access and then flip them once setup. Visually, I think the clean face of the aluminum plate matches well with the brake arms and in the front the crown of the Gatorblades. When I setup the hangers I leave out the 2 set screws which are supposed to centre the hanger on the straddle cable. I find they make it harder to disconnect the straddle cable and if the brakes are tensioned correctly the hanger should centre itself.

I was a bit on the fence about the colour at first as I had no say in it's choosing. It's grown on me as I've build up the bike. I think it works well with the silver and black components, and the XTR blue. I do have some issues with the quality of the paint and decals. It may cause me to revisit the paint in the future.

I really like the color. Were the decals not clear coated?

Our temps just south of you finally hit the mid-30's today. Great riding temps!

Mr.Toad":1kczw34q said:
I really like the color. Were the decals not clear coated?

Our temps just south of you finally hit the mid-30's today. Great riding temps!

Not cleared just individual letters on top of the paint, which is how they were done originally. But the edges of the letters are jagged rather than smooth. Decals were purchased by the previous owner from CyberSport, the company that now owns Brodie.

timoshenko":3ecejlnj said:
raidan73":3ecejlnj said:

Thanks Adrian, I was looking at your build thread in reference to the serial number. Mine's serial number 3278 built on June 19th 1994. I believe yours is 3572 and Paul said it was built in January 1994. Maybe he meant 1995?

Maybe Crispin :? From what I remember, my frame number does seem to fit with other Brodie's from a similar era but yours certainly predates mine with the noodle for the rear brake etc so I guess one of them is wrong.

Crispin, you need to invite me to see your collection in the metal one of these days. ;)

downtube "brodie" and "b" decals are definitely wrong and should be replaced. they look much more squished and italic than they should be. sovereign looks to be good though. let me know if you need a set of "brodie/b" made. ;)

not sure if i read right, but this was repainted by Toxik? and the quality isn't so good? :?

Back