1990 Mammoth RC201

aguycalled80

Retro Guru
Two weeks ago, a bike on my wanted list appeared on eBay;

It's a Mammoth RC-201. I don't know what year though - somewhere from 1989 to 1992. I haven't seen any catalogues on line, or really any info about them other than a thread on MTBR.com, so I don't know what years they made bikes or how many.

It'll need new paint and decals. I'm guessing the paint is original, but I don't know what original colours were. There only seems to be pics of a half dozen Mammoths on the internet that I can find.

The advertisements featured a white/red/black fade, and I know I've seen an awesome polished one on this site, but I'm really liking the idea of proper early 90's neon.

The frame has some unusual elements;

The rear brake cable runs under the BB, then back up to a pulley (which is sadly gone) and down to the rear wheel.

The BB is pressed in.

The cables are all internally routed, but after going through a cable housing stop. And the holes for the water bottle mounts are just holes - there are no threads to bolt bottle cages on.

The more I handle the frame for the pics I took, the more I like it. The chainstays are beefy, and I love the arc they trace from down tube to the dropouts. I love the welds. The seat tube has a massive step down from where the seatpost is inserted (they didn't make posts bigger than 27.2 in 1989 I guess?). And it feels pretty light. I might have to run it up to my old shop and get it weighed.

Anyway, what I'm going to need is;

1. A 1" fork.
2. A pulley for the rear brake cable.
3. A BB spindle.
4. Decide on a new colour and get some decals.
5. Figure out the cable routing.

I have two donor bikes (1989 Fisher CR-7 and 1992 Trek 9200) of DX and XT bits to start with, and I feel like I'm pretty wide open for what would look good on this bike. I figure I can go with anything American; Bontrager, Grafton, Cook, Onza, Salsa, Ringle, etc.

It's murderously cold here at the moment, so I'll have to drag stuff in from the garage and wait for it to warm up before I can work on it. So, don't hold your breath, but I will update as I go.

Attachments

• DSC_9733.jpg
    DSC_9733.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 4,410
  • DSC_9725.jpg
    DSC_9725.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 4,408
  • DSC_9728.jpg
    DSC_9728.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 4,408
  • DSC_9729.jpg
    DSC_9729.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 4,408
  • DSC_9730.jpg
    DSC_9730.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 4,409
Re: An early, elevated, Christmas present.

Lovely Mammoth, it was available as a frame only, with build options and from memory came out the same year as the Nishiki Alien AL (which was made in the far east and assembled in the U.S)

Handmade in the USA.

Very cool...., good Score.. :cool:

the best image I can find for a minute, I hope its of some help.

Attachments

• MAMMOTH RC201...jpg
    MAMMOTH RC201...jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 4,345

These were quite unique in that they used a 2024 aluminium so they didn't have to heat treat the frames after it was built, have a close look at it you should find that the seat tube is actually 2 different size tubes the smaller tube fitted inside the lower half which holds the bottom bracket.

From memory it came in a polished frame option like Ellison and also custom painted in any colour way you could possibly want.

Very Cool frame, and to my mind easily up there with Funk, and often overlooked IMHO. (sorry always a fan of the more obscure.)

:cool:

Do you have the rear roller for the brake.? If not, this should be the size that fits, although you would have to remove the roller from its cage, which isn't too hard.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181261614980? ... 1439.l2649

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

There advert from 91.

I will have a good look for the review tonite for you, sadly I only have these two images on my computer for the moment. :oops:

Attachments

• MORE THAN FUNKY.....jpg
    MORE THAN FUNKY.....jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 4,332

1st post - lovely bike "don't know much about this......."
Sinnermans posts - awesome as usual!!! Thanks mate.

That really is a nice frame, that purple to white fade in the first magazine pic looks very nice.

I saw this (not mine)
I like the polished frame a lot
11352430524_ef29b2ccc0_b.jpg

registering for updates! ;)

from the advert posted, here's a start on reproduction decals if you're going that route. should be easy enough to trace.

anyone got a headtube logo?

Attachments

• Mammoth.gif
    Mammoth.gif
    28.1 KB · Views: 4,281

sinnerman":2btlec7h said:
Do you have the rear roller for the brake.? If not, this should be the size that fits, although you would have to remove the roller from its cage, which isn't too hard.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181261614980? ... 1439.l2649

It didn't come with the roller, so this is awesome - thanks!

RockiMtn":2btlec7h said:
anyone got a headtube logo?

It's easy to find the Tracker logo on the internet, but the Mammoth logo, not so much

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back