1993 Serotta built Jamis Dakar. Finished on page 4

makster

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
So, there I was doing my usual thing of browsing the ebay watch forum while knowing I couldn't really buy anything, and I see this... viewtopic.php?f=4&t=280046&hilit=serotta
Being a big fan of all things Jamis this grabbed my attention.
I'd only ever seen one other of these frames (which popped up on here again recently, by chance) so I thanked CTK for his sterling work in spotting it and started plotting how it could be mine.
The first, and hardest, part was the need to sell my 1988 Overbury's Pioneer project. Living in a small flat means a strict one in one out at the moment :roll:
I got this up for sale and then contacted the seller of the Dakar and negotiated postage from Germany.
They were really helpful so I bid with confidence.
I wasn't loosing this one so put a large bid in right at the end of the auction. I won, paid and then the waiting started....and ended today!

Information on these is really limited, but a full original spec was found on Bikepedia.... http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/Bike ... qjjHuLJOzl

I'll be slowly gathering parts for this, so don't expect any updates for a while :D

Re: 1993 Serotta built Jamis Dakar

Glad to see it arrived safely. I like a nice Jamis too and the Serotta connection has to be a good thing. Signing in for updates (but not holding my breath ;) )

So... is it going to be the full XTR blowout as per spec Mark are you going with something more subtle/sensible ? :D

Antstark":1rcagxfx said:
So... is it going to be the full XTR blowout as per spec Mark are you going with something more subtle/sensible ? :D

Not 100% decided yet. I'm a big fan of the M737 groupset so I'm tempted to save my wallet and go for that.
I'd really like to find out what year the frame was made first though.
The Ritchey chainset will most probably stay. The other one of these on here (and in Germany, where mine was originaly sold) has the same chainset fitted so I wonder if they specced them differently for the Euro market :?
I've asked my contact at Jamis USA to help but not heard back yet. Going to prod him with some pics tomorrow ;)

I like the look of that a lot - good score. Pulling up a virtual chair for this one. I assume this will be prominently displayed as a backdrop to a brew on Sunday? ;)

MatBH5":2q4ddy0y said:
I like the look of that a lot - good score. Pulling up a virtual chair for this one. I assume this will be prominently displayed as a backdrop to a brew on Sunday? ;)

It will be available for pawing :D

I really like that frame, I'm looking forward to watching this build progress.

Wow, so you are the one who bought it Mark!
Small world :)
I watched this because it is such a beauty, glad you got it!

Jamis Diablo":25928b7t said:
Wow, so you are the one who bought it Mark!
Small world :)
I watched this because it is such a beauty, glad you got it!

I thought you'd have been interested in this :D
Do you have any clues on how many were made by Serotta? My contact at Jamis is staying tight lipped :|
My main concern at the moment is that the geometry looks very similar to my 1993/4 Dragon, and I sold that as it was too small for me

Build plans taking shape.
Wheels arrived today....

More on its way :D

Back