1996 Sycip Specialized CX - new pics p2

stumpjumper1990

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I've allready put this in the MTB chat forum, but decided to put it here as well.

Here are the first pics. More pics and the story of it will follow shortly!

Grotefoto-NXN48SP3.jpg

Grotefoto-YTWHFKLX.jpg

Re: 1996 Sycip Specialized CX

Found this frame on marktplaats.nl. The seller told me it was from a former Specialized team member and he had this frame made for him in the States. It got my attention and I bought it.
After collecting it I noticed the framenumber: SC18 and contacted Sycip if they knew anything about the frame. Had a reply from Jeremy Sycip. He told me he build 4 CX frames for 2 guys who were sponsored by Specialized and wanted to race CX. Specialized did not make CX frames so they hired Sycip to build the 4 frames! This is one of them! He also send me this photo. It's a photo of a page from his little notebook with serialnumbers!

The 4 CX frames were made in 1996 for the Specialized - Mountain Dew team. They were for Bart Brentjens and Marcel Gerritsen because they also wanted to ride some CX-races. Specialized didn't make a CX-frame in thise years!

Grotefoto-7GAB6V4V.jpg

Fantastic.

Interesting that it comes with mudguard eyes given it's history although appears there's no real way to fix them even if, bizarrely, you wanted to.

Great find Bart! That is a fantastic frame. I like it a lot! :eek:

Back