konaman1

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Following on from this thread;

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=278808&start=10

I spotted this bike completely by chance in a garden when I was collecting a bench I'd bought from eBay, I asked about it thinking they were RB'ers themselves, turns out the guy was borrowing it from a mate. I got in contact with the fellow who had owned it from new and struck a deal. Unfortunately the seatpost was seized and the whole bike looked pretty sorry for itself with rusted bolts and manky tyres but its almost completely stock.

Managed to find some time to do some surgery on the seatpost as after a week and two tins of penetrating fluid it was still stuck fast! I fashioned a cutting tool out of a length of dowel, a hacksaw blade and some aryldite resin :) I got the idea from this site but even with the tool it still took two hours of grim determination and swearing to shift it!

With the post out I managed to find a rough copy of the original seat clamp and a nice long Syncros post for it. The brakes were still set up Canadian style with the front brake operated by the left hand so I've corrected that ;)

As you can see it looks like its been stored outside for a while, so jobs to do include a full strip down with new cables, tyres and bolts...

Sadly the RaceFace stem red ano collar is snapped so I will be tapping up forum member Rampage to see about getting a replacement machined along with the og seat clamp. This is the first RM I've owned so I can't wait to take it for a blast... :cool:

What an amazing find. I remember selling this model in my first bike shop job. Lovely bike....

That method for cutting out seatposts has been used many times by me on customers bikes... yet to be defeated!

NICE! i really want to find myself one again. but given i have a so many RMs in my collection already, unless one falls in my lap, i think it'll be something i won't be adding.

good job on getting that stuck post out! as for your stem, if you can't sort out a replacement preload collar for it, i think you can run it as a regular ahead stem by installing a star fangle nut into the steerer, removing the quill/wedge from the stem, perhaps a longer stem bolt, and install as usual.

jinjrich":1guqqkmx said:
What an amazing find. I remember selling this model in my first bike shop job. Lovely bike....

That method for cutting out seatposts has been used many times by me on customers bikes... yet to be defeated!

Can you remember what they sold for Rich? Must have been a big price tag with all the boutique RF parts on :shock:

The dowel made such a difference to the hacksaw blade method as before when I've had to resort to it I just used a pair of gloves to hold the blade and it was so hard to keep the pressure on the blade. Plus this one was so far down the seat tube its almost the length of a 300mm hacksaw blade so I really needed the dowel to extend the useable length! Ooer....

I was quite amazed to see it as they just never seem to come up on eBay and the like, even though I quite often type it in to the search bar in the hope of one popping up!

Lovely. Well done.

So did it fold in on itself easy once cut or did it slide out?

Really looks good already

coomber":8k8d7n59 said:
Lovely. Well done.

So did it fold in on itself easy once cut or did it slide out?

Really looks good already

That nice clean cut in the pics was the last one I did.. I did two cuts prior to that one 5mm apart and tried to remove the thin sliver as I've done in the past... no dice... So I tried a third cut and then water pump pliers + anger around the inch stub I'd left and it went with a bang! Luckily it was just the alu corrosion unsticking rather than a weld snapping :shock:

Been a bit slow on this one as have been concentrating on the Bizango which is finally finished! :)

Got a complete RaceFace ex stem on the way to me as the red collar on mine is broken. Also waiting on a Marzocchi canti hanger so I can put a pair of Z2 superfly's on it whilst I figure out how to fix the og Judy. Plus I'm on the look out for a nice set of amberwall wtb tyres for it as well.

Next step really is to strip it down to bare frame and t cut it then build it back up with fresh cables. Hopefully I will start stripping it down next week.

Sounds good! I have amber wall tyres if you need them... Quite a few actually... And if you need any other Syncros / Ritchey / race face parts let me know as I have many... =). I'm going to post some pics of mine shortly... It's almost finished... =)

Back