And so it begins......DeKerf content...COMPLETE

Mike E.

Old School Hero
:D Well, I've succumbed to the retrobike culture.
After selling a few old items and lurking around this site I got the urge to find/build an oldie.
I started getting into MTB'ing back in '94, and the shop I frequented was chock full of Brodie and DeKerf's fully blinged out with RaceFace and Syncros stuff, so when I got the "bug" it only seemed natural to try and relive my past....and find a frame that I could never have afforded back in the day.

After a deal fell through with a local fellow here on a set of cranks, my parting email to him was "well, if you know anyone who has a 19.5" DeKerf frame kicking about just let me know. He responded with, "well, how about this one?"

Just picked it up this morning:

Paint is a bit on the rough side, and the sanded bare spot you see on the top tube was for Chris to inspect a gouge in the paint. He said it was no problem, just ugly

The fork on it is for mock up purposes, but might get built up with it to see how everything feels.

Pretty happy. Gonna try and scare up a Syncros post and hopefully some black RF Turbines to bring me back to the days of drooling on the bike shop floor... ;)
Have an original Judy XC that I'm hoping will have long enough of a steerer tube....might get it painted white to match the rear end if it gets to that.

Attachments

• dekerfside.jpg
    dekerfside.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 1,465
  • dekerffront.jpg
    dekerffront.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 1,465
  • dekerfrear.jpg
    dekerfrear.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 1,465
  • dekerfshock.jpg
    dekerfshock.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 1,465
Re: And so it begins......DeKerf content

hi and welcome
i'm guessing another vancouverite/lower mainlander from your dekerf comment.
there are a few of us on here.
if you're looking to paint, dekerf will do it but another alternative is toxic harald.
he's in richmond also. we have a bike show at his location in may.
be sure and bring this baby out. it's not all mint bikes and this would be more than welcome.
hang out and shoot the sh*t. have a look at all the bikes. it's a good day.
check out the last two years threads on here.
roy

Hey Roy,

Yup, Lower Mainlander here too.....in the sticks though. :D
Going to start saving my pennies for the paintjob, but I'd love to bring it out to the next show. Hoping to build it as close to 'period' as possible, but that will depend on what I have in the parts bin.
My 19 year old son stopped mid-stride when he saw it in the garage and said, "that thing is awesome!!" He's an oldschool kinda guy (music/cars/etc), and when I told him it was a '95 or so frame he commented that "they" were almost born at the same time then. ;)

Looking forward to putting it together.
Have an old Judy XC I'm trying to reclaim from a buddy, so that may go on it....not sure the 4" Bomber would pose an issue with the lightweight steel.

Cheers,
Mike

Plans sound really good, Judy in white would set it off.
Are you restoring the finish or the patina route?

Back