1989 Merlin Titanium w/ Potts Type II fork

mkozaczek

BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Seeing as though I've bee slow as molasses to finish this build I figured a build thread might help get me in gear. So here goes.

Picked up this bike on Criaglist for $200 complete with M730 XT and a WTB roller cam, not bad. Frame was in rough shape, no decals, all scratched up but solid. Parts were in meh condition but salvageable, especially the RC.

DSC_0445.jpg

DSC_0446.jpg

DSC_0447.jpg

DSC_0450.jpg

Pretty rough...

DSC_0668.jpg

But after a little bit of work and a couple sheets of scotchbrite pads it's looking pretty smart!

DSC_0673.jpg

DSC_0675.jpg

DSC_0674.jpg

DSC_0681.jpg

DSC_0676.jpg

Skip ahead a few steps... add some nice OEM transfer decals (none of this Velocals BS), a few clean parts and it's starting to take shape. More build pics coming soon.

DSC_0674.jpg

IMG_20130817_161839.jpg

The build plan is as follows:

Koski fork
Salsa stem
Merlin bar
IRD post & Turbo saddle
XT Shifters, brake levers, cranks, and derailleurs
WTB headset, hubs and rear roller cam (maybe front in the future)
Specialized Ground Control front tire and GC Extreme rear tire

Re: 1989 Merlin Titanium

$200?????
That's a gorgeous machine,at any price.
Now going off to sulk!!!

OMG this is absolutely beautiful and the forks (Ritchey?) fits perfectly.
...bargain of the year ;)

Thanks. Fork is Koski. Ultimately I'll try to get a nice RC fork for the front and do a full WTB build with drops, but for now it's going to get a straight forward build.

Please Martin sell to me a pair of rollercam for a Merlin Newboy, I will pay the double of the entire bike :cool:

FlyingV":3jap6b6z said:
Please Martin sell to me a pair of rollercam for a Merlin Newboy, I will pay the double of the entire bike :cool:

Well, the RC is being used on this Merlin. Here's a quick pic after the arms got reanodized and cleaned up.

16272_326098324192536_967130011_n.jpg

I was excited to see this project, great project! I am in the same stage, I'm thinking whether to give the scotchbrite.
as you used the scotchbrite?
in circles or along the tube?
is high gloss or matte?
I see some common parts in the assembly.
dreamed of these bushings,finally found.
Lame site

I used long pieces of scotchbrite pads, maybe 1.5 x 8" and pulled them back and forth across a small section of the tube perpendicular to the length of the tube if that makes sense. Held one end in each hand and pulled it back and forth while rotating around the tube. Used three different grades of scotchbrite, coarse - medium - fine. Finish is matte just like the original.

I guess to be specific scotchbrite titanium, no?
There is much talk about it in the forums, but each does so in a way.

any particular brand? I think I will, I have the original decals.

Back