1996 P7 Rebuild

Tatsunoko

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Was going to treat my old C16r to some much needed love and attention, but got distracted by a P7 frame needing a home.

After collecting (getting carried away with) M950 groupset (with M739 Crank and Un91bb) and RC35 forks I have come to a halt regarding paint. :?

I could re-nickel it, as it needs doing (which was my initial though), but am starting to sway for a black powdercoat with orange decals (ready to go from Gil)

Has anyone got any recomendations in the Essex (Anglia) region that have done a good job on their Frames?

Re: Restoring P7 frame - Nickel or Colour?

i wouldn't do black, especially powdercoat, it tends to be quite flat. if you can get the plating redone i'd do that if it's not stupid money, that said, i have a mint nickel P7 and one i had powdercoated white, both look cool, but even though i like the very original one i actually prefer the look of the white one!

Attachments

• P7.jpg
    P7.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 1,444
  • white p7.jpg
    white p7.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 1,444

jonnyboy666, I may have told you before, but those P7's are very, very nice indeed!

Yep. V. nice set of P7's there.
My c16r is in white (had it done about 14 years ago now, so is looking pretty trail worn now).

Haven't been able to find anyone that can re nickel for a reasonable cost. Local places either can't fit the frame in, or want £200 to £300 to sort it.

Any pointers to a good place to re-nickel is greatly received!

Ermmm ill take my comment back, that white one is stunning, people go on about restored bikes in white.. ohh another white ect ect but bloody hell that does look nice.

yeah, obviously i like both but i have always liked white paint, clean, clinical etc, also i got to the point a few years ago that i really hate black, mainly because it gets used so much in the bike trade, for a period everything went stealthy, black or carbon frame with black components, black spokes etc etc etc, boring boring boring!

i think the key when deciding on colour is looking at the components you are going to be using aswel when deciding the colour.

my general rule is dark frame, light/polished components, bright frame, dark/black components.

Looks like it will be a Chrome effect Powder Coat from the place in Maldon.

Before Shots added - taken by the original owner

(The after shots will be when it comes back in a week or so!).

Attachments

• rust 1.jpg
    rust 1.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 1,352
  • rust 2.jpg
    rust 2.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 1,352
  • rust 3.jpg
    rust 3.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 1,352
  • rust 4.jpg
    rust 4.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 1,352
Restoring P7 frame - Now with added PACE, Onza and M950

Crusty forks from ebay - saved by Tim at Fork English (@justbackdated). Can't praise that guy enough!

The Pace hub I always wanted as a teenager!

And the trusts M950 shifters and brakes.

to go on.

SK9 and hotrod bar and stem.

Onza porc grips (the reissues)

Psycho II's

Been told it needs to be built and out the dining room for Christmas! :xmas-cool:

Not the most original build, but I wanted the bike and bits I couldn't afford at 16 (ish!) :)

TBC!

Attachments

• _MG_6198.jpg
    _MG_6198.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 1,349
  • fork 1.jpg
    fork 1.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 1,349
  • fork 2.jpg
    fork 2.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 1,349
  • pace hub.jpg