1988 Muddy Fox Trailblazer - another project

jimwise68

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Just picked this up, another edition to my collection of 88s. Ive also got a Shuttle enroute aswell which leaves only the 88 Limited Edition to complete the full range, but Im not holding out much hope for one of those.
null_zps48197624.jpg

Im a bit confused with this as its all original (except seat, grips and tyres) but doesnt have the spec of the brochure.
MF88_8_zpsb0599ecc.jpg

No drop bars or racer style brakes and shifters. Also the crank is the plastic moulded style similar to the one on the Shuttle. But it does come with Suntour XCD6000 groupset and also a XCD6000 cam rear brake.

All in all though a very nice bike with what seems to be a mixmatch of parts bin raiding. Cheap plastic crank and pedals but higher end gears and brakes.

I'll post more pix up tomorrow.

Finally got round to starting this. Have stripped and had repainted the frame forks.

Sourced some drop bars, brake levers and the Suntour Bar Con shifters are in the post.

So in anticipation of those arriving I started to build her up last night.

66C256CD-708C-45D8-8B88-3154B2BFC4F3_zps5f9f1661.jpg

Just got the derailleurs and bar tape to put on but will finish when the shifters arrive.

Will do better shots when complete too.

looks fabulous, i would be tempted to upgrade the crank, (whilst keeping the original to one side)

must be the only one we know about, i wonder if any are still out there in the wild!

Re:

Very nice addition. Unusual and yes possibly now unique. What 'level' is it in the line-up in terms of the quality of the frame etc? Equivalent to an explorer maybe?

It had same groupset and wheels as Explorer, but came with a cheaper crank it seems. Again, always hard to tell with these as they seemed to have changed from the brochure.

I got it with straight bars, Dia compe levers (same as an '88 Courier) and Exage shifters.

Wheels and hubs same set up as Explorer (Araya with Grey Sansin MF branded hubs), rear Suntour XC6000 roller cam brake, front XC600 canti and XC6000 front & rear derailleurs.

I have put on the Dia Compe brakes and Suntour Bar Con shifters as listed in catalogue.

Back