1980s Centurion MTB

Buzzsaw

Retro Guru
Picked up this 1980's Centurion mtb minus wheels today. Don't know much about the brand except that US triathlete Dave Scott used their road bikes to win a few Hawaiian Ironmans back then. Gearing is all Suntour, AG rear derailleur, friction shifters and dia-compe lookalike made in Chang Star cantilever brakes. Probably originally a fifteen speeder I guess. Frame I have been told is chrome moly with lots of surface rust and a stuck fast seat post.
It has all the classic sloping tube angles of that time but I don't know if this bike has much value. I plan to give it a budget respray and source some wheels to make it a run about but will take a while to complete.

Attachments

• handlebars.jpg
    handlebars.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 2,026
  • stripped.jpg
    stripped.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 2,025
  • centurion mtb.jpg
    centurion mtb.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 2,026
Checked on Wiki and yes you are right that they became Diamond Back by the 90's and some of the original staff went on to form ParkPre bikes. There were so many brands around that period - good times.
No work today so had time to to start some paint stripping but the hard way with only a wire brush and sandpaper. Luckily the paint is so thin that it's comes off relatively easy and most of the rust is surface only. Going to do a cheap and cheerful rattle can paint job and thinking orange color. For some strange reason always wanted an orange bike!

Attachments

• forks paint stripping.jpg
    forks paint stripping.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 1,921
  • handlebar rust.jpg
    handlebar rust.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 1,921
  • handle bar rust removal.jpg
    handle bar rust removal.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 1,921
Well the frame is almost fully stripped for a repaint. Old paint is flimsy thin with lots of surface rust underneath the paint. Reconsidering my orange color choice and probably redo it similar to the original paint scheme. The Suntour AG rear derailleur's pulley wheel is abit nackled - stripped of it's teeth and being a none standard one is near impossible to get a replacement so waiting for a Suntour AR 1980's derailleur with standard jockey wheels from the US fleabay. Should be a good period alternative. Will be hopefully bidding for some old 5 speed Araya MTB wheels tonite. Got some VP beartrap pedals in the post today as well - arghh I remember all the scars on my shins as a kid riding beartraps on a bmx.
The separate parts probably end up costing more than the frame but it's proving to fun with abit of hard work redoing it. Hopefully should get it going in a few more weeks. Looking forward to see how it rides.

Attachments

• pulleywheel.jpg
    pulleywheel.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 1,840
  • derailleur.jpg
    derailleur.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 1,841
  • pedals.jpg
    pedals.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 1,841
  • framestrip.jpg
    framestrip.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 1,840
The frame has been primered up and ready for the final paint job. Here's a couple of mock up pics of the frame with wheels. I kept on getting trounced on auctions at the last micro second for the period Araya wheels so instead got some cheap bolt on screw hub ones from a LBS for 30 bucks (@ 15 quid) complete with amber wall tires that were hardly worn. Hopefully should be complete soon.

Attachments

• primer.jpg
    primer.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 1,765
  • primeredframe.jpg
    primeredframe.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 1,765
I'd colour match the bars too. If you get stuck for wheels no-one will call you out for not going totally 'retro'. Lots of tasty modern hubs that can be adapted and used.

I'm going to try get a similar blue to the original over my initial choice of screaming bright orange. I'll keep it conservative! With the wheels if all else failed I was thinking about Dia Compe high flange hubs laced up to Rigida Sputnik sliver rims (modern quality with old school looks) but unfortunately my budget won't stretch that far.

Back