1996 Santa Cruz Tazmon build

yeti_bomb

Senior Retro Guru
I just bought a old 1996 Tazmon. The only bikes I love as much as Yetis is Santa Cruz bikes. I lived in Santa Cruz for 5 years and I cannot wait to get this stead rolling in the next few weeks.

I'm going to build it as a lite full sus retro all mountain ride. 7 speeds with XT thumb shifter, XT rear and read hub on Mavic 234. Magura/Bontrager front wheel. Bomber Z2 fork. Bontrager saddle from about my 1993 summer season. Copper anodized Race Face Turbine crank. A couple of other modern light weight pieces to round it off.

I hope to be riding this bike in about three weeks depending if I need to rebuild the suspension. Wish me luck on one of my dream bikes!

Attachments

• IMG_4590.JPG
    IMG_4590.JPG
    95.8 KB · Views: 1,559
  • IMG_4588.JPG
    IMG_4588.JPG
    81.1 KB · Views: 1,558
  • IMG_4585.JPG
    IMG_4585.JPG
    101.3 KB · Views: 1,559
  • IMG_4583.JPG
    IMG_4583.JPG
    147.3 KB · Views: 1,558
  • IMG_4581 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_4581 - Copy.JPG
    143.3 KB · Views: 1,558
You pipped me to the post on ths one! If you decide to sell please drop me a line.

Cheers

yeti_bomb":1jbjp4w0 said:
Copper anodized Race Face Turbine crank.

Please Keep the posts coming on this one,

I'm becoming increasingly bored with the current crop of builds being posted,
for better or worse they just ain't floating my boat at present

Copper plating the RaceFace cranks will be different ?, or do you mean copper coloured Anno ?
only ever seen copper plating done on Custom Choppers (the one's with engines not those from the 70's made by Raleigh)

If your keeping the frame green the copper will look great, real interested in seeing the end result.

Save me from Rocky Mountain blandness Pleeeaaasee............... its worse than a bad dose of the Klein Pox :LOL:

Spud™ ©

Thanks for the encouragement. Copper anodized cranks. Never seen plated that would be interesting. This frame is getting built today. Z2 forks just arrived in the mail. I really don't know how the rear shock is doing. Hopefully she's good to go but if have will have Risse rebuild or buy a new one from them. Either way I will be getting this old girl rolling by the end of the month.

Thanks for the offer to buy. I think this one is a lifer for me. Even it had been broken I still would have picked it up. I really love the old Cruz bikes.

As "a finish" I think copper plating is only suitable for pure cosmetic/eye candy items as its rather soft and easily scuffed off..
perhaps why its not seen on Bikes other than ... I can't bring myself to type the word ....Garage Queens ! :|

hence why I got excited when I thought you were going down this road for "a rider".

here's a pic from a platers in your region

Attachments

• copper plated rim.jpg
    copper plated rim.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 1,447
  • copperwheel_big.jpg
    copperwheel_big.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 1,447
God those are f-ing ugly. I hate car culture in my home state. Cannot stand it! Lucky me California has lots of great mountains!

Here is some test fits of parts that I'm going to use. Yes I will be using this bike as a regular ride. No garage queen.

Wish me luck with the shocks.

Attachments

• photo5.JPG
    photo5.JPG
    142.8 KB · Views: 1,436
  • photo3.JPG
    photo3.JPG
    191.2 KB · Views: 1,433
  • photo2.JPG
    photo2.JPG
    122 KB · Views: 1,433
  • photo1.JPG
    photo1.JPG
    180.2 KB · Views: 1,436
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    129.3 KB · Views: 1,436
Also the tires shown above are not what I will be using nor is that front wheel. Some stuff is still shipping.

Looking good mate, i like the older SC bikes.
love the cranx aswell.
Only thing is,i cant help thinking it needs a slightly longer travel front fork to balance the chunky swing arm a bit better?

unit3":19t2e1d6 said:
Looking good mate, i like the older SC bikes.
love the cranx aswell.
Only thing is,i cant help thinking it needs a slightly longer travel front fork to balance the chunky swing arm a bit better?

That looks lovely. Fingers crossed the shocks not too bad.

I do love a Santa Cruz. I had a custom built Blur about 6/7 years ago. Was my favourite FS bike by a long way - until it got nicked :( :x

Think you might be right ref the forks, looks a bit squat at the front.

Back