Kona Hei Hei King Kahuna 96 Finished

Dr_Rip

Kona Fan
Hi guys.

I'm from Spain.Sorry if my english isn't good enough.

I buy a Kona Hei Hei King Kahuna frame '96 with bottom cable guide.I'm waiting for this arrive from USA.
The Hei Hei is my favorite bike of all times as many of you probably. I prefer a early 90's Hei Hei but i want build this for a common use.

I have a lot of parts for finish the building, the build is a classic-modern, I like keep the romance of a classic titanium bike but useful. Not as main bike but for use a lot.

First perform a process of restoration of the frame, matte finish as the later models with new decals but the same as in the catalog 96.

This is the list for building

Fork: (Undecided) I have a early's Fox Float, I can restore, new paint and decals and modified travel. But I see pictures and don't like cosmetically in the finish build.I've been evaluating use a White Industries or PACE vintage suspension fork, this looks very well and function properly. I have also evaluated use a rigid carbon Fork as PACE RC31 or White industries. In this matter I am undecided and I would like to hear your opinions.

Headset: Superstar Uno Orange 1 1/8"
Stem: Syntace F99
Handlebar: J&L Titanium 600mm 25.4
Seatpost: EDR Titanium 27.2 x 350
Saddle: Selle Italia Flite TI Troy Lee Edition
Bottom braquet: EDR Titanium Square 107mm
Cranks: Coda aluminium silver 175mm with Shimano 40-32-22
Pedals: Bebop TI (only for pictures), I use a Time Attack Carbon TI
Cassette: Shimano XTR 11-32 9v
Chain: SRAM PC990 Hollowpin 9v
Shifters: SRAM X0 Twister 9v (Is so modern, but I prefer for a real use)
Front Mech: Undecided: Shimano XTR 31.8 FD-961
Rear Mech: SRAM X0 Carbon Short Cage (Is so modern, but I prefer for a real use)
Front hub: Hope Lightweight Ti 32H (modified custom)
Brake Levers: Avid Single Digit SL
V Brake: Avid SD 2.5 grey
Rear Hub: Sunn Brubz 32H this hub use a classic Hugi/DT mechanism. Originaly red but polished to silver. And modified axle.
Skewers: RZ Titanium QR's
Rims: Mavic 217 CD Ceramic 32H
Spokes: Titanium 2mm
Tyres: Onza Canis 2.25 Skinwall

I hope to be publish pictures of the process to share with you.

Ready for build, here not is the fork and seatpost yet

The wheels are on the most like of the build,

The cranks CODA are from a Cannodale Reven, not is the most a appropiate but looks so good and works fine

EDR was little maker from 90's in Spain, this is a titanium bottom braket 107mm only 154gr

Beggining assembly

Now the bike are almost fully assembled, but missing some detalls: Some decals, the seatpost are coming.

An you see that the decals now aren't the corrects for 96 KKK , originally are in blue and Hei Hei logo, I purchased a set of decals before the frame are in my hands, this claims for 96 KKK but the colours not are correct and missing decals. I'm waiting for another set of decals, with Hei Hei logo and Handmade logo, also de Kona logo did change by more apropiate Kona logo in Orange , finally, Just finished did a custom set of decals, as originals but different colour.

I prefer take a pictures of complete bike when this are finish.

Attachments

• DSC_0046.jpg
    DSC_0046.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 1,599
  • DSC_0019.jpg
    DSC_0019.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 1,599
  • DSC_0025.jpg
    DSC_0025.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 1,597
  • DSC_0053.jpg
    DSC_0053.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 1,597
  • DSC_0050.jpg
    DSC_0050.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 1,598
  • DSC_0049.jpg
    DSC_0049.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 1,599
Re: Kona King Kahuna 96 building - some questions.

New list updated and pictures some parts.

Finaly I have a hand brushed finish for the frame , more cheap, similar as original an so beautiful finish.

Re: Kona Hei Hei King Kahuna 96 building

Muy hermoso! A classic top shelf weapon. Your English is rather good by the way :xmas-wink:

Finished¡¡¡¡

Can see the pictures.

This is a retro-modern building, I want this bike for use some times. I'm have been searching a components that are more integrated in the design and style.

Now the only thing have a doubt is in the fork, now looks great and work better, was repainted and new decals, originally was a Talas, but this died and do a conversion to Float with 90mm. But something scream me, for Pace RC36 Class 2 or Mag 21. I prefer the trail in the angle and not in head.

Some changes to last time:

The brake levers: A friend donate to me a Avid Single Digit SL levers, can see in the first pictures this was my first option , but I had a old Avid SD 2.0, this looks ugly but after spend some time for polishing think taht looks great and more genuine.

Almost polish the cranks and hand brushing, the CODA logo its out now.

Attachments

• PC110296.JPG
    PC110296.JPG
    241.8 KB · Views: 1,331
  • PC110306.JPG
    PC110306.JPG
    108.1 KB · Views: 1,331
  • PC110310.JPG
    PC110310.JPG
    229.9 KB · Views: 1,330
  • PC110304.JPG
    PC110304.JPG
    147.4 KB · Views: 1,330
  • PC110300.JPG
    PC110300.JPG
    154.2 KB · Views: 1,329
  • PC110308.JPG
    PC110308.JPG
    152.3 KB · Views: 1,329
  • PC110303.JPG
    PC110303.JPG
    129 KB · Views: 1,331

Great bike and some top components. Defo agree Pace RC35/36's would look neat. For me the decals don't work; wrong colour matching and style but it's your bike so as long as you like it thats all that matters!

al-onestare":3fn8l0qt said:
Great bike and some top components. Defo agree Pace RC35/36's would look neat. For me the decals don't work; wrong colour matching and style but it's your bike so as long as you like it thats all that matters!

Originally the main decals has clear blue (Hei hei and Kona Logo) and main Kona logo "tribu" design. The rest are identical. I have a "tribu" main kona logo in orange. But don't dislike de actual design and colour.

Back