Mid 90's Slingshot

fatchanceti

Dirt Disciple
Almost done with this one. The 7th Slingshot I've owned (previous: 1991/1992? mtb in lilac, 3 Farmboy 29ers, 2004 BigShot Serial #1, and a 2005 folding road).

Picked up locally from the original owner. Frame was requested paintless from the factory and a friend of his did the custom chili pepper job. The peppers are airbrushed on, then covered with clear coat. For a 20 year old frame it's in pretty great shape. The Scotch-ply board looks great.

It didn't come with the original Sling fork, but instead a Kona Project 2 - which also (and unfortunately) has clear coat over the branding. Geometry seems right though (410mm A-C).

Hard to read the serial numbers on the BB due to thick paint, but I'm guessing it's somewhere in the 1993-1994 range based on the dropped top tube and 1" head tube.

Build is likely going to end up as a 1x7 using most of the XT kit from a low mileage (but rusty) 1991 Stumpjumper that I salvaged. Now on the hunt for a 31.8 Syncros post. I originally mocked up a dirt drop build (below), but scrapped that.

Funky as you could ever get :D would there be a upper weight limit on these frames? It looks weak but it was made for mountains so.....
Any links so I can read about them please pal?

Thanks for the comments - the paint is ok - I wish it was purple/lilac like my first frame of this gen. Chili peppers belong on Salsa frames - haha.

I'm getting close. My 1" silver ahead stem arrives tomorrow (currently using a shimmed down Thomson, which looks like poop). No way I can run a narrow flat bar on it - sorry folks. My 40yr old self needs a little more rise and sweep, especially with my carpal tunnel.

Not sure about the weight thing - I'm 165 lbs now. I was pretty close to two-hundy a few years back, but I was riding the beefier modern Sling frames back then. They were fine.

I've ridden it a few miles so far- oh how I love these. They are so alive underneath you.

Which is your favourite out of the Slingshots you've owned?

I really fancy one myself but am not sure whether to go for a retro or more modern frame.

Really nice, I'd love to try riding one one day.

You ever come across these?
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=277188&p=2070097#p2070097

Screenshot_2013-11-05-10-41-14_zps4d0df80a.png

Emotionally I will always prefer the early to mid 90's michigan built slings. The newer china made frames are certainly stiffer up front, but they aren't quite as "alive" as the older bikes.

I have not ridden anything older than 91 or so, so I'm not sure how the old double top tube bikes are. For me aesthetically I also like the mid to early 90s bikes. The newer ones look a bit industrial and chunky to me.

Getting closer.

oh how I wish that even low-rise bars didn't look like poop on these older bikes.

the flexy bits:

Still need to dig out a silver cable hanger, some proper brake levers and get my more period correct wheels on there, but it's coming together. It'll never be a show bike, so I may not bust myself up too bad trying to go 100% period correct.

Thanks for your reply- I'm drawn to a late US made one but I'll see what comes up.

To avoid risers you could go for a stem with some rise and flat bars with a bit of a sweep.

Back