1996 THS-1 Iron Horse Toby Henderson Special

yeti_bomb

Senior Retro Guru
About a month ago I bought a beautiful and rare THS-1. The frame is is great shape. I do have to replace the Custer rear shock because it is cracked. I bought a NOS HV rear shock that should fit nicely. I'm not going to keep this bike original and will outfit it with random bits of downhill gear that I have. I'm mostly making this into a single speed full suss rig for the travel around town. Right now I have most of what I need to get the build going after receiving the new rear shock and a Manitou Sherman. Been hard to get it going as I'm building 3 Yetis and maybe a fifth bike if I don't stay off of ebay.

I really loved the 1997 THS-1 restoration that was done awhile bike on the forum. Amazing work. Made me buy this frame.

1993 Trek 9000, 1991 Gary Fisher Montare (cracked), early 90s Iron Horse A-Frame (cracked), 1994 Yeti Road Project (cracked), 1999 Yeti Arc, 2005 Yeti Arc, 2004 Yeti ASR, 2002 Specialized P1, 2001 Redline MonoCog, 2008 Redline MonoCog 29ner, and 1996 THS-1 Iron Horse

Attachments

• photo1 - Copy.JPG
    photo1 - Copy.JPG
    107.5 KB · Views: 1,411
  • photo2 - Copy.JPG
    photo2 - Copy.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 1,411
  • photo22 - Copy.JPG
    photo22 - Copy.JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 1,411
Unfortunately the swingarm is tweak which explains the cracked Custer shock. I think I can bend it but want to consult with Foes about it. This frame might just be art in my garage for now. Moving on.

Bummer! :cry:
I was looking at it on eBay & thought it looked good, no mention of damage in the listing.
guess it's pretty hard to find an old DH bike that's had an easy life

I have a feeling this is a easy mistake to make with old DH frames, especially on ebay. She might have life but she has been pushed down the line by a few other frames for the time being.

Been thinking about this frame a lot. Very bummed it has a bad swing arm. I held out on ebay for 97 frame could have swapped that rear out. Anyone out there have a swing arm they want to sell or trade? Thanks

Well found a 1997 Foes Weasel that I just bought. One way or another I will have something ride.

Re:

Was able to buy a issue of Mountain Bike Action May 1996 with a review of the THS-1. Sorry about the quality of the photos. My scanner broke. But still though someone might find this stuff interesting. When I get my new scanner I will submit to the archives.

Attachments

• h7.JPG
    h7.JPG
    29.9 KB · Views: 981
  • h6.JPG
    h6.JPG
    28.3 KB · Views: 979
  • h4.JPG
    h4.JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 981
  • h3.JPG
    h3.JPG
    31.6 KB · Views: 981
  • h2.JPG
    h2.JPG
    29.3 KB · Views: 982
  • h1.JPG
    h1.JPG
    28.9 KB · Views: 983
Re:

Sounds promising!
Is the Kuster shock useable? would be great to see this built up to the MBA article spec

Re:

No the shock is cracked. Swing arm is slightly bent. I just bought a foes weasel. Might build one or the other depending on condition of the foes.

Back