Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:10 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:43 pm 
Retro Guru

Not a fan of the saddle bud but it's your bike mate so do want you want. I think it might clash.

Plenty of cheap saddles can usually be found in the for sale section. If it were me i'd look for a battered old Flite or even better a Vetta SL and recover it with a cheap offcut of leather from eBay.... Or if you really want to go down the budget route, put a Sainsbury's carrier bag over it :D

Rich.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:04 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

Looks a good colour match to me. Nice shape too. Not unlike a turbo really.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:46 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Appreciate your comments Rich. I thought it would be but now its here I'm pleased wto say the colour is a good match. I seem to be the only person on here who doesn't like flites! Had a couple in the past and not got on with them.

Bad news though... Have managed to remove seat post but required heat to do so. Therefore the paint had been damaged. Waiting to pick frame up to assess how badly...On the positive side the dark grey isnt too hard to match if I need to respray.

Last edited by superstu on Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:49 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

superstu wrote:
Appreciate your comments Rich. I thought it would be but now its here I'm pleased wto say the colour is a good match. I seem to be the only person on here who doesn't like flites! Had a couple in the past and not got on with them.

Bad news though... Have managed to remove seat post but required heat to do so. Therefore the paint had been damaged. Waiting to pick frame up to assess how badly...On the positive side the dark grey isnt too hard to mat h if I need to respray.

Yeah I too was a bit unsure about the orange saddle but hey if it fits! Just be cautious with the frame colour match...and the frame finish is not easy to replicate!

Doug

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:50 pm 
Retro Guru

Hmmmm. Always tough to colour match saddles without seeing them in the flesh, and I have surplus yellow and oranges examples to prove my incompetence :facepalm:.

Regards

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:19 am 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Point taken on the saddle! Meant to be a cheap build but may to look at alternatives.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:55 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

The seatpost has been removed - but was a real struggle. Had to use heat to get it out, which has of course damaged part of the paintwork. Its not disastrous, will probably build it up and then look at getting powdercoated if I get on well with it.

Some nice period XT STI units have been bought, some black marin straight bars, dx chainset, nice wheelset...need cables, pedals, grips and that's about it, provided the mechs this came with are ok.

I must confess that with a small baby and no electricity in my shed I have found next to no time to actually clean this up or start building. Hopefully in the next month or so though.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:20 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Update of the damage to paint in getting the seatpost out...
Not too bad...really needs a good clean and a t-cut but I have literally done nothing with it since I picked it up.
Am (hopefully) moving house in the next couple of months which will give me a garage and enough space/shelter/light to get to work on my projects :D

Have bought most of the bits I need for when I am ready to build