96 Klein Pulse Comp - did I do ok?

JoeG

Retro Guru
I just bought this for $125 from Craigslist. I know its their entry level/cheap model, not a high end dream bike. Was my $125 well spent? Photos are from the seller's CL ad; its raining, so hard to take more right now.

00T0T_eIPUKabLMv5_600x450.jpg

00t0t_idV5EjQKqcL_600x450.jpg

01717_fetPnFx3IEr_600x450.jpg

00D0D_dcsIiGA7Rke_600x450.jpg

Per this http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/v/M ... 6.pdf.html its a 1996. Bike looks nearly new, owner said he rode it 10 times. Components are STX and LX, with a RS Quadra fork (which barely moves).

Sweet little lightweight bike. I use a late 90s Pulse as a hack bike and love it. Used to ride the more expensive Kleins back in the day, but I can leave this one leaned on a lamp post while I pop into shops without a worry.

Worth twice or three times that all day, every day.

Thanks highlandsflyer, glad to know that you think I got a good deal. There's one on ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/Classic-1996-Kl ... 4d13e41433 so I'm interested to see if that will sell, and for how much. The shipping is as much as the one that I bought, though...

As far as I can tell, its all original except for the tires. So all that I plan to do is to tear it all down, regrease everything, and put it back together; probably over the winter. And try to find some period correct tires. I'm guessing that the toughest thing will be the forks. I found the service manual online as well as a video on youtube. A set of elastomers is $53, though! :shock:

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
A little update...I have almost everything stripped down. Most of the bike is in nearly new shape, so I've disassembled and regreased everything. BB wasn't bad to remove, but the pedals and the handlebar clamp were a different matter! And the fork elastomers are fossilized; had to order new ones at $63.

The one on ebay sold for $102.50 + $86.15 shipping [ 15 bids ].

Looking for a bashguard now...

All put back together now. Found an old QBP Tooth Fairy bash on ebay; never saw one with this design before. Added an Avocet 25 computer. The bar ends weren't stock, but look original and the grips were cut to accommodate them, so they stay. New elastomers in the fork and a $10 set of Panaracer XC Magic tires from the LBS. 26.0 lbs on a digital scale. 16 miles on it already...

DSCN1723 by Joe____, on Flickr

DSCN1726 by Joe____, on Flickr

DSCN1728 by Joe____, on Flickr

DSCN1733 by Joe____, on Flickr

I'm happy with it. :)

My back, however, is not! That 90s long and low racing position; ugh! :?

Back