The "3 way" Kona project DONE AT LAST!!

matt24777

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Right here is the thinking behind this thread....

I have a number of bikes now (thank you retrobike :facepalm: ) and a fair few parts collected too.

Now I can't just keep building more and more bikes, much as I'd like to space is limited as is the Wife's patience :shock: :LOL: .

With the bikes/parts I have I wish to build 3 bikes to keep and then I will sell on the rest of the parts (hopefully)

The first stage of this process will be to strip down the 3 useable bikes I have and clean up all the bits. The current incarnation of existing bikes is:

97 Orange C16r
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... p;t=226324

94 Kona Fire Mountain
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... p;t=255000

97 Kona Cinder Cone
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... p;t=268169

There is also two Kona Kilauea Frames, one 94 and one 96

Forks wise I have a set of Bomber Z1's, Bomber Z2's and 3 sets of P2s

I will Catalogue the available parts later on, but most is XT or XTR, with a few other choice bits thrown in.

Now I must admit I enjoy the Konas far more than the Orange, don't know why, I just do so The Orange frame/fork will possibly be up for the cull but I'm not sure yet. I ride almost exclusively XC and am not going to set any records downhill (although I'm getting better).

First Spec discussion point = 1 x Hardtail + 1 x Rigid + 1 x ????

With all the above in mind, I'm up for some discussion regarding the build of the "keepers".

(note while I ask for opinion and I'm up for some banter, I may well ignore your recommendations.... do not be offended, each to their own ;) )

Re: Major Winter Overhaul Multi-Project

My choice would be for 2x hardtail and 1x rigid.

My preference would be to keep the 94 Kilauea (rigid), the 97 Cindercone and the C16R

I was thinking

94 Kilauea = Rigid

96 kilauea = Rigid/hardtail possibly set up so I just have to swap the forks over.... but then I'll already have a rigid :?

97 Cinder cone = hardtail

Therefore parting company with the rigid C16r and the rigid Fire Mountain

I will have to get some pics of the frames/forks when I've got some time (weekend hopefully)

There is also the question of paintwork,
The 96 Kilauea has been powder coated already by a previous owner. Orange
The 97 Cinder cone is original paint in good shape. Blue
The 94 Kilauea I haven't taken delivery yet. Silvery
The 94 Fire mountain is a little tatty, with lots of touch ups. Red
The 97 C16r has been powder coated while I've had it. White
:facepalm:

If the '94 Kilauea is silver(y) then it may well be original paint...either way I don't envy you parting with any of them

Yeah I know, I may not be able to part with em come the end but we'll see. I'll miss the Fire Mountain as it was my first Kona even if it was 19 years late!

Ok I promised pictures.

First of all Frames:

The 96 Kilauea frame 18" (once upon a time it belonged to Ernie I think), been through a couple of others since. I love the colour, but I'm not a fan of the dual era decals (Sorry Ernie) so I've just ordered up a set of 95 Kilauea decals form Gil for this frame. (I prefer the 95 look to the 96 one)

Ooooo look what arrived today....

The 94 Kilauea frame 19". All original paint, decals and rust. the rust looks like its just surface, so I may just try and find a good colour match (any ideas people?) rub down and touch up the scrapes.

Plus the other 3 frames already mentioned in the build threads above. :p

Forks:

In this photo we have a set of CM/TB threaded P2 forks to suit a 19" frame (rear right), a set of CM/TB ahead P2 forks (rear left), a set of CM/CM ahead P2 forks (front right) a set of Bomber Z2's (centre) and a set of Bomber Z1's (front left) All of these are 1&1/8th.

None of the forks will fit the Orange except the original F7's as it's a 1" headtube, the Konas will take any of the forks.

Now currently I'm thinking....
94 Kilauea + Threaded TB P2's to make a rigid to replace the Fire Mountain as my main rigid bike.
97 Cinder Cone + either the Rockshox or one of the Bombers to make a Hardtail
96 Kilauea + Ahead TB P2's/one of the Bombers to make an either or bike

Attachments

• IMG_1250.JPG
    IMG_1250.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 4,164
  • IMG_1252.JPG
    IMG_1252.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 4,163
  • IMG_1253.JPG
    IMG_1253.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 4,162
  • IMG_1256.JPG
    IMG_1256.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 4,163
  • IMG_1268.JPG
    IMG_1268.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 4,164

I've now fished out all the "Spare" parts I have available (in addition to items off the 3 existing bikes)

Some nice M950 XTR sti & V brakes, NOS M950 front mech, Tidy M950 rear mech, NOS Bar ends X-lite & Amoeba, NOS Seatpost, Salsa Wide flat bar, Dia-Compe PC11's, Dia-Compe PC5's, NOS Gripshift X-Rays, Some New 4 arm Cranks, 2 x FSA Orbit 2 AHeadsets, Easton EA50 stem, NOS Club roost Wedgehead, NOS UN91 68x115 BB, NOS Smoke/Dart & Some I-link brake cable.

A pair of NOS Sachs Wavey shifters, 2 x m737/8 Front mechs, 2 x Kona velocity stems, 3DV Atac stem, NOS 3DV Pulstar hubs, NOS Kona Control Centre headset, NOS Curve canti's & levers + Oddessy Knarps, M739 v brakes & NOS Sugino impel cranks (170mm)

2 x NOS Tioga Psycho K tyres + 1 x NOS Tioga Psycho TT tyre.

A set of wheels I had built up By SJS (just round the corner from me :mrgreen: ) M950 hubs with Mavic XC717 rims with butted stainless spokes.

What to put where? Any thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_1258.JPG
    IMG_1258.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 4,112
  • IMG_1260.JPG
    IMG_1260.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 4,111
  • IMG_1264.JPG
    IMG_1264.JPG
    78 KB · Views: 4,112
  • IMG_1270.JPG