Kona Fire Mountain Shock...recent rebuild and paint!

marshole82

Old School Hero
Feedback
View
Right then, I've been mooching about on here for a while been don't really post much.

Truth be told I'm not huge on retro stuff, I just like bikes and building them! Must admit, I like my old Kona though :)

So I built up a DMR, which at 15", and me at 6'4", was a bit small. So I did a swap for a 17.5" Kona Fire Mountain in blue, grabbed a few cheaply bits off of here and eBay, and set about having a tough hardtail for the trails.

IMG_20120326_191226.jpg

Circa 2000 bomber Z3, race face cranks with FSA ring, a few shimano bits knocking about and some heavy wheels for the rocks!

It was pretty good but the forks were saggy and I was doing more commuting than trails so I had to make a change.....

Stripped down and ready for paint!
IMG_20120328_115813.jpg

SACRELEDGE I hear you cry! But the paint was turd, the decals were messy and I couldn't bring myself to liking the blue.....although I miss it now!

2 hours + 1 Popeye arm = no decals and a serious forearm problem lol

IMG_20120328_212926.jpg

Did some etch primer, then filler, then the final colour followed by copious amounts of t-cut .

IMG_20120502_120327.jpg

And that's how it ended for a year or so. On-One carbon forks (950g), avid BB5 front disc with 185mm rotor, same cranks and pedals and shifter. DMR wingbar, LX cassette and XT rear mech, some lighter wheels, a planet x stem and some better pads for the rear brake.

Have been in touch with Gil about new decals but never got round to ordering, will have to touch base again soon.

Cheers both!

As I said in the first post, I'm onto its third life now, so it didn't stay like that for long! Will update in a few days :)

andyfloyd82":17ceh94c said:
I like it a lot, love that front fork.

cheers - i got all excited when i found it on ebay! to the point where i probably paid too much for it, but it does look top drawer :)

So, I recently took part in a local bike ride for charity...50miles to be exact. Lovely ride around the countryside and villages of Northamptonshire!

Alas, the Kona was not available, so I borrowed a friends giant road hack. It was decent but a bit on the heavy side, especially considering its worth.

So with that, I've decided to go weight weenie. Kona is on a diet and will be treated to some light bits and bobs in an effort to shave around 1.5kg before wheel change off of the weight.

Challenge!!!

So, I've just taken delivery of an eBay find of great proportions! Easton EA50 flat bar weighing in at a claimed 170g....although i stuck it on my scales and it was more like 150g :)

It's a normal clamp size so it won't fit my easton, but i've just purchased a Syntace f99 at 112g - so another 20g off the easton weight :)

pics to come

Had a bit of time to swap a few bits over today, no pics but at least a diet update all the same!

Removed:
Club roost stem 250g
DMR wingbars 380g
Deity dirt jump saddle 470g
1100g gone

Fitted:
Syntace f99 stem 112g
Easton ea50 bar 155g
WTB saddle 350g
617g added on

Weight shave of 483g on 3 replacements. Its a good start.....my maths may be off thought lol

Back