Merlin (Tange Prestige)

jaypee

Senior Retro Guru
Just picked up a nice bargain

DSC_1395_zpsb218200c.jpg

Lovely 'ting' off the frame, Mavic, Stx-Rc, Ritchey, Manitou SX (any good? Don't know much about suspension).

All seized up from the V-brake arms to the seatpost but the frame seems sound and I think everything is salvageable. Hoping the post won't be too much trouble and determined to get it out.

From what I can find out these are well thought of if not a prestigious brand. Looking forward to finding out!

Better pics when I can...

Nice lookin' bike you have there , Manitou forks work well IME , had a pair of SXRs BITD . Plastic top caps are easily damaged though , but ok if your careful .
Mike

Haha yes it's a shame there is a better Merlin brand because it means there's always a slight disappointment when the (still pretty decent) UK version comes up. Partly why I put 'Tange prestige' in the title.

Mike Muz 67":2jy5lo9z said:
Nice lookin' bike you have there , Manitou forks work well IME , had a pair of SXRs BITD . Plastic top caps are easily damaged though , but ok if your careful .
Mike

Thanks mate! Prompted me to take some better pics
DSC_1423_zpsabcbaab2.jpg

DSC_1420_zps61796426.jpg

DSC_1424_zpsb609c257.jpg

DSC_1425_zpse80b19a2.jpg

Wow , a local ! :LOL:
Flatten that saddle , flip the stem , take off the bar ends and it'll look a whole lot better I reckon . Actually , leave bar ends on if you like , I just prefer to have no dents in my top tube :facepalm: Oh , and lose the Wonder light bracket , the re-cycling truck comes on Tuesday :LOL: :LOL:

It'll need a bit more than that. Full strip and rebuild I reckon but no time to do it all in one go so it'll be five or ten mins here and there. It's completely unrideable at the moment.

Good point on the bar ends, I'd prefer to keep them but I'll check whether they hit the tube.

Light bracket? You mean on the seatpost? That's a coke-soaked bit of kitchen-roll. Probably won't loosen the post but worth a try!

You in Brighton too? The Merlin was on gumtree a couple of weeks ago. I check pretty regularly but others even more so cos the real bargains get snapped up. Not this time! (Or at least, it was me doing the snapping!)

Flip the stem? For a real heads down ride huh? Never thought of that but I'll give it a try! I'm more used to early 90s. Never had an aheadset stem to flip and bikes from the early 90s bikes are usually heads down enough.

Hi,
Yes I'm in Patcham right now , but usually reside in Worthing . Never look up gumtree , sounds like I'm missing out . Good luck with the seat post ;)
Mike

Back