Look what I picked up today - Rocky Mountain content

LikeClockwork

Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
I was going to research it thoroughly, but by the time I've had a shower I expect you lot will have told me all about it!

RM Fusion, pretty tatty but cheap, don't know anything about this model but after getting rid of my Hammer and then regretting it, this seems like a bit of karma come my way. Cranks don't seem to match, wheels don't match and are rubbish, mixed brakes, newish SRAM gripshift, 6 speed, crap RST forks. Seat post is free though and stem is lovely, although some oink has bashed it over the top and damaged it, will need carefully filing off.

How old is it? And any other info, like where did it fit into the range? Thanks! :D

Attachments

• RM Fusion 007.JPG
    RM Fusion 007.JPG
    89.5 KB · Views: 1,238
  • RM Fusion 005.JPG
    RM Fusion 005.JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 1,238
  • RM Fusion 004.JPG
    RM Fusion 004.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 1,238
  • RM Fusion 006.JPG
    RM Fusion 006.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 1,238
  • RM Fusion 002.JPG
    RM Fusion 002.JPG
    91.4 KB · Views: 1,238
  • RM Fusion 008.JPG
    RM Fusion 008.JPG
    96.3 KB · Views: 1,238
  • RM Fusion 001.JPG
    RM Fusion 001.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 1,238
Cool - I'm looking at a similar frame on CL right now. I think its a mid 90's fusion. The fusion in the late 80's was RM's third from the top bike (I owned an 8:cool: and came with LX level componenents and was a pretty popular bike locally. By the mid-90's I think it had migrated down the line a bit with the advent of aluminum frames and suspension. Don't know what it came with - I'd guess STX or STX RC. I think that model came fully rigid - at least the ones I've seen came with the matching cromo fork.

Haven't the foggiest what I'm going to do TBH, the frame is my size and I've been looking for a steel frame to single speed for ages so maybe this one... :p

Front and rear mechs are STX by the way, so maybe original who knows. Think I may have some rigid straight blades soon that can go on it, 390mm A2C so ideal. Are the RM branded cranks and stem anything special? (Can see USA on the granny ring, rest is too mucky at the mo)

Fusion was the bottom of the range until sometime later in the 90's when they needed to bring lower range models out.

By bottom end I mean Deore LX of course. (or LX/DX mix as it was in the early 90's)

I would be looking around 1996 for that one, when it slid relatively down the range a bit on spec and price.

Plenty is not original and lower spec.

I don't think I'm going to worry too much about trying to keep this original then, for what it owes me I can tinker and put various bits on it, maybe single speed it, maybe a beach cruiser look.... :D

Thanks, that's helpful! Quick update - just been stripping it down and part of the serial no is T9308, does that prove 1993 rather than 95/96? Also the BB is completely siezed and one side is nothing I recognise, removal tool wise! Trip to friend's bike shop who has the heavy gear this afternoon, I think... :facepalm:

That would be 1994 model (Aug '93)

All the Catalogues, as you would expect, are in the archive, I've just not looked through to check since you said you where getting the serial number :)

Back