Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:10 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:59 pm 
Retro Guru

Parkpre Team 925

Full Shimano LX group set, PFR seat, RST MOZO Pro W shocks (that will be another tread) Pulstar hubs original wheels. Now gotta decide what to do with her? Its a steel frame that has been titanium plated, however it has surface rust spots all over it, so I'm now thinking about stripping the frame & going for the polished look, with obviously a new set of decals. Should make for an interesting build & will fit nicely into the 'stable' with my Parkpre Comp Limited.

Last edited by 1997BlackC5 on Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:06 pm 
Retro Guru

...always liked these BITD - understated but a little different with the Pulstar hubs. Lose the blackwalls though ;-)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:03 pm 
Retro Guru

Right this one has been close to 9 months sitting in my shed, so today I decided to get started on it......

I striped the bike leaving the a-head set cups & the bottom bracket then I got out the paint stripper.......

After washing it down & drying it off, I then got out the metal polish.....

I did like the TI finish but there were too many surface rust spots for my liking, so this was the way to go. Already have the stickers from Gil.m so I guess they will be going on next before I think I will have to give it a coat of clear. Not sure whether to do this myself (rattle can) or pay for it to be done by a sprayer......how hard can it be..........!!!!

I now need to compile my parts list (not too long for this one as I am happy with most of the bits, so just cables hangers, gonna lose some of the faded red anno).

The build has defiantly started..............watch this space.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:41 pm 
Retro Guru

Got the rattle can lacquer out today, 3 coats with 24 hours to harden, fingers crossed

Then started to clean up some of the LX components

I think I might just keep the red anno parts, they are beginning to grow on me, progress is defiantly being made.....

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:00 pm 
Retro Guru

Nice job with the strip and polish!!! looks really good!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:39 pm 
Retro Guru

Ok, so after trying the Halfords rattle can lacquer idea, let the frame cure for a week, I went to apply the decals & as it tried to attach the decals to the bike they peeled off all the lacquer I had applied the week before.

So, strip down number 2, this time I went clear powder coat (£20) & that was £20 very well spent, great job & a lot tougher than my lacquer attempt.

Next on the list of jobs is to try to rescue my RST MOZO PRO forks.........

But that is another thread /plea for help!!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:54 am 
Retro Guru

Ok, possible change of heart re the forks. I'm now thinking of about buying some new Suntour's (to take the canti's) with lock out. For the sort of XC riding I will be using it for they will be fine, 80mm of travel. Or maybe fitting a used set of Rock Shox Indy C forks to keep the bike period'ish correct, as I seem to be drawing a blank on repairing the RST's. Would like to hear what you guys have to say on the matter.....

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:57 am 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

1997BlackC5 wrote:
Ok, possible change of heart re the forks. I'm now thinking of about buying some new Suntour's (to take the canti's) with lock out. For the sort of XC riding I will be using it for they will be fine, 80mm of travel. Or maybe fitting a used set of Rock Shox Indy C forks to keep the bike period'ish correct, as I seem to be drawing a blank on repairing the RST's. Would like to hear what you guys have to say on the matter.....

Don't buy the Suntours, they will look cheap and probably work worse than the RST's. See my link for some alternative elastomer ideas in the manitou thread, they should work equally well for the RST as the Manitou's, it just needs someone to try it (I may have a go next month). The other option as the Mozo pro's have a damper (even if it's only a crude air damper) is to convert them to coil spring. The ride may be more bouncy as there is less damping but they should still out perform the Suntour forks. The best thing to do is wait for some Bomber Z2's to surface with a Canti stop, but this could be sometime. if you have access to a machine shop a canti stop could easily be made though.

Carl.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:56 pm 
Retro Guru

Progress has been made today, after buying a second hand set of Rock Shox Indy c forks & getting my local BS to put my new FSA Orbit headset & forks on for me I was able to get going with the build.....

and one with its stable mate, my Parkpre Comp Limited....

I decided not to go with onza bar ends, I think I prefer the cleaner lines with out them. I know REKIBorter got some stick recently for what some people thought were Charge Splash Backs on his Litespeed Parkpre Pro Elite. But I like them so they are unashamedly on my Team 925. The old system the bike had for the rear brake wont work for me now as I have a Parkpre brake noodle so I'll have to order a new red hanger for the rear before I can finish that off. After that a chain might help & then finally gears! Only bought this bike back in 2013 so not been the fastest of builds but hope you like how its turning out.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:31 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Lovely bikes, have both a Pro Elite and a Comp limited, the ride on both of them is inspiring, very much underrated frames and pretty rare.