Orange P7 project number 2!

jonnyboy666

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
so i got another P7, this one is gonna be built a little different from my other one

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=85640

basically i wanted one that was a little modernised, retromod as it were. i know some don't always like this but i think that if it's done sympathetically it can be good, my Fat Chance Buckshaver for example i think is a good example.

so the first thing i did was have a good look over the frame and fork for damage, which was all fine, the nickel plating was not that bad but had some spots that needed sorting but as i already have a nickel frame i decided i wanted to paint this one, some will hate this but i went for white (again), the reason is i was getting it powdercoated as it's pretty cheap and i have found that these guys do a really good white but some of their other colours have been a little flat to say the least. besides i do like white, it looks clean and with some black components should look pretty good.

also, before the painting i cut off the canti hanger at the back, i think this is a 94 frame, the reason i think this is that it had the canti hanger but did not have any crud catcher mounts, my 1995 model has the canti hanger and the crud guard mounts, and the 1996 model had no canti hanger as it was for v brakes, so by removing the hanger i can now use v brakes without breaking my "if the canti hanger is there you must use it" rule ;)

anyway, a couple of pics to get you started :D

IMG_1681 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

IMG_1683 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

IMG_1685 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

have some more including how far i got tonight :D

stickered up :D

P1120462 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

P1120463 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

P1120464 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

P1120465 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

and starting the build

P1120467 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

P1120468 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

i built the wheels a while ago, lx hubs on xm317 rims in black

P1120470 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

P1120471 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

spec wise i have a bit of a mix going on, LX/XT of different year models, m739 brakes, deore shifters, 9speed xt mechs, i imagine the spec will change a bit as i go, it usually does, this one is going to be a bit of a bitza/lash up regarding the spec but either way it should work nicely when built.

:D

yeah, i like period(ish) correct, i also like catalogue spec builds, but i also think there is a place for retromod, if done correctly i think it can look good and ride well. :D

i got a little further along on this tonight, it's almost done infact :D

the only things i still need to do are sort some pedals and some bottle cage bolts, the bolts are on the way from ebay though so that's one thing sorted, really like the way it came considering that almost the entire bike was built from the spares box, hence the mixed lx/xt spec. should ride nice though. :D

P1120482 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

lasco chainset, bargain price but looks pretty good, replaceable rings and black and i wanted a monochrome look, black/white/silver

P1120481 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

good old xt v brakes

P1120479 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

carbon fsa bar

P1120478 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

poison spider bicycles logo, theshop from Moab Utah that i hired a bike from, love the logo

P1120475 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

ride for michael

P1120474 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

the complete gearset

P1120473 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

complete, well almost :D

P1120472 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

That looks really good :D , what size is it ?
although im sure its too small i still keep looking at the 17 inch P7 frame in the corner of the garage :facepalm:

Paul.

Love the spider logo and the white.

Looks a nice clean sorted bike.

You will have to give us an update on how well the chainset works :cool:

Back