Middleburn cranks - where do I lube them ?

citrixccea

Retro Guru
My old cannondale series 3.0 from 1994 has always creaked - and in spite of many attempts by the LBS to address it over the years, I've just put up with it.

The LBS told me that a hope bottom bracket in an aluminium frame could be the cause but they didn't really know.

Finally (after 15 years or so) I got around to taking a look for myself - I swapped out the cranks for the Coda crankset I'd stripped and prepared for Ollie's slightly later 'dale viewtopic.php?f=41&t=271933

And while I only had the granny ring to play with, it was creak free, even up south yorkshire's grindiest hills.

To further diagnose, I switched back the original drive side crankset, and left the Coda crank on the non-drive side. Without getting to the top of the road, I could hear creaking.

So the cranks are Middleburn Rs2's, straight with the 5 bolt spider - of course this being a 90's bike theres a mix of plain alloy, with some blue anodised highlights. (middle ring, spider, lower bolts, crank caps)

Chain ring are Pace 50, Pace 36, and a Campag ATB 24.

I plan on cleaning up everything, as there's definitely some corrosion on the upper chain ring bolts.

My question is - where do I lube the bolts/surfaces, and what with ?

I promise pics when it's all nice and shiny.

the classic middleburn creak used to be the spider against the driveside crank arm. fully strip the crank down, remove the spider, clean everything. then when you re-assemble use (non permanent) blue threadlock for the spider/ crank interface.

That's a top shout - and it was something I'd been considering when I saw how the crank had worn the anodizing on the spider like this.

Attachments

• photo(2).JPG
    photo(2).JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 505
Thanks Scant - can't say for certain that that's what it was, but fully cleaned, lubed and refitted, and the years old noise is long gone. So impressed with the quality of the newly cleaned cranks, I might get round to cleaning the bike properly this winter !

As the chainset is now so clean, I couldn't resist taking some gratuitous pics ! Might get round to giving the old girl a proper clean,

Attachments

• photo 2(2).JPG
    photo 2(2).JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 374
  • photo 1(2).JPG
    photo 1(2).JPG
    67.4 KB · Views: 374
Back