YETI Fro owned from new 91-92

slimjoe

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
I woke this morning and thought....im going to cable up the FRO, get it finished and go for a ride!

Re-painted about a year ago in a slightly darker shade of the traditional desert turquoise, which i

never really liked. The colour does not show up to well on my crappy pics.

So here it is. Bought by me in 1992 owned till 1996 when i foolishly flipped it! Then around 5 years

Ago i bumped into the owner and managed to persuade him that i could find a better use for it.

I know it will be pointed out to me that i have used the incorrect d-tube decals but i dont care! I like

the look of them...Also i will really upset some people as ive used some non period parts on it too!!

My last build on this in 96 it was decked out in M-950 XTR so that wasnt period correct either.

It has JOES brakes, Gravity reasearch brake levers, Grafton cranks, Cook Bros bottom bracket, Paris

Dakar Mavic wheels, IRC

geoclaw tyres, Ringle Ti holey skewers, SRT 500R gripshift with Yeti paw covers, Campag Record OR

Headset, Tioga handlears and the compulsory Accu Trax fork and Atac stem. Built to look utility :D

Attachments

• FRO 92 075.JPG
    FRO 92 075.JPG
    130.8 KB · Views: 620
  • FRO 92 078.JPG
    FRO 92 078.JPG
    371.6 KB · Views: 620
  • FRO 92 077.JPG
    FRO 92 077.JPG
    182.5 KB · Views: 620
  • FRO 92 079.JPG
    FRO 92 079.JPG
    188.6 KB · Views: 620
And i did get it finished and rode too. Its 17 years since i last rode this very bike :facepalm:

It is a superb ride! I cannot believe how dialled these bikes were 20 years ago. But the brakes are

Dreadfull!! Think ill try some different pads. Pictures taken just as the sun was setting and could i get

the camera to focus in and capture the colour...!!!

Thankyou mate. Cable ferrules are thanks to you. The large chainring is a 46 tooth NOS COOK BROS.

Oh! Oh! Oh!

GR levers! Originals before the strange parallel design...!

Yum!

Got a spare set in red...?

Ha!
BB.

Very nice joe, cant believe its the same bike, i remember it very well...

I agree with you, ive been using my fro lately, so responsive and climbs so well, wish i had bought one years ago....

Looks great! I also have a FRO from the same time frame and my down tube decal looks the same......I don't ride it anymore but seeing all the Yetis on this site is kind of making me want to get it going again. It's currently got an LD stem, drop bars, single front chain ring and skinny slicks. I need to put it back to stock. Also I rode this bike for many years and it started out top of the line but as the years went by it's changed many times and has some hand me down components on it now. I think that happens to all of them if kept in service.

Today i swapped the bars for some more modern Taperlite 2's simply because the other bars too narrow. Also fitted some NOS Scott pads on the front and a handmade by me lizard on the seat tube.

I have cool seatpost on its way too and an early Ringle seat QR. Ill also be fitting a set of NOS M-730 XT chainrings to sharpen up the front changing a bit.

I guess like all my projects they are never complete. :facepalm:

Attachments

• YETI fro with longer bars 015.JPG
    YETI fro with longer bars 015.JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 384
  • YETI fro with longer bars 016.JPG
    YETI fro with longer bars 016.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 383
  • YETI fro with longer bars 021.JPG
    YETI fro with longer bars 021.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 383
  • YETI fro with longer bars 019.JPG