1st Adroit History and some pics

Adroit #1

Dirt Disciple
So way back in 1991 I was a fairly serious wanna-be in the MB scene. I worked in the aerospace bolt industry in SoCal and had great access to machines, machinists and material. A buddy and I made lots of small titanium bits for ourselves and our friends. As a result, I had become friends with the owners of a high end bike shop in the town I lived and talked them into getting me passes to the Interbike show (it was in Anaheim back then) I was already part of the Klein faithful, having bought an early Pinnacle (read understay “U” brake!) out of the Recycler in the late 80’s.

Anyway, hanging inthe Klein booth, was this beautiful Balloon forked Purple/Black frame. It was more art than bicycle. Everything about it was cool sexy. Perfectly smoothed welds, giant frame tubes ,sealed bearing head set, pressed in bottom bracket, it was incredible. Clearly it left a big impression on me.
Not long after, that very frame set, miraculously appeared in my local shop. (Big Klein dealer) I drooled over it every time I came in (several times a week) and talked about it incisively to the owner. He would laugh and say to me “You can own Adroit #1, just get out your wallet and its yours” ..
Well it hung for a year or so. Everybody at the time was crazy for front suspension and the combination of super high cost, non-standard head-set made the beautiful Klein undesirable to most “serious” riders. Low and behold, I came into some money and I promptly ran over and plunked down the cash! (I think it was $2250.00) and have owed it ever since. I built everything myself from the lightest stuff I could find and afford. I was an original “weightweenie”. I milled out the centers on the clamps for the shifters and brake levers. Scavenging unthreaded titanium 12 point bolt blanks to cut metric threads and drilled every bit out that I could. It was great fun. But alas, It was small frame for my 6’2” 250+lbs body, So even though I love it, I didn’t ride it much. Here it is 22years later and I still have it.
So the particulars are: 20” Klein Adroit In “Metallic Plum”,Bullseye cranks w Ti bolts, Ti Onza HO pedals, Bullseye hubs with custom Tiaxels , Mavic 231C, alloy nipples, Campagnolo (mostly)Alloy Super seven freewheel, XTR derailleurs, Suntour XC pro’s, Dia compSS-5 levers, Critical Racing brakes and skewers. Syncros Ti seat post and a Stella Italia flite seat, Old Cateye Mitty2 speedo! Lol

Attachments

• IMG_1933.JPG
    IMG_1933.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 1,242
  • IMG_1936.JPG
    IMG_1936.JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 1,242
  • IMG_1940.JPG
    IMG_1940.JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 1,242
  • IMG_1937.JPG
    IMG_1937.JPG
    72 KB · Views: 1,242
  • IMG_1932.JPG
    IMG_1932.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 1,242
  • IMG_1931.JPG
    IMG_1931.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 1,242
...nice colour and I bet that the camera doesn't do it justice. What's with the chainrings - are they DIY?

Welcome.

Great story and better still as you kept the bike!

Lets see the serial number then.... And how much does it weigh? :LOL:

J

Nice!! Great story, i hope you gonna ride it now, i'm 6'1" and a 20" fits me perfect!

Welcome to the site! :D

Great to hear of another Klein being with the same owner for such a long time, they have that effect ;)

Nice set up with a cool mix of parts from that era including the brake pads.

What is the cable hanging under the top tube?
Edit, just spotted the computer pick up on the rear wheel!

Cheers, Ash.

Back