Orange E3 renovation/rebuild

TrevorKershaw

Retro Guru
Here is my Orange E3 retro build thread.

I bought the frame/forks/seat post on Ebay locally and consisted of the frame, a 1996 E3 - A0601, a pair of Pace RC35 MCXD’s and a purple USE seatpost and shim. I think the £115 I paid was reasonable. It was a buy it now sale and I’ve seen the forks alone go for £60+. See pics

The frame looked virtually white and the seatpost was missing the lower part of the clamp, so I contacted USE who couldn’t provide a purple one, so I settled for blue. I do have a thing about having blue trim on my bikes, but blue and purple, well we’ll see…

Interlude 1: Stripping the decals and lacquer and cleaned up the frame with used scotchbrite and a bit of fine steel wool where necessary.

I started collecting parts for the bike. A got a pair of X517 SUP wheels on XT hubs, an XTR bottom bracket and XT cassette, some Sachs Wavey shifters, which I have always liked and a Ritchey Scuzzy Logic headset. I also got some Ti-Ni titanium bosses for the rear brakes.

Interlude 2: Polishing the frame with Mothers Mag and Aluminum Polish.

I picked up an XT chainset complete with Pace “extruder groove” chainrings on Ebay, which are a bit worn, but still look very cool.

Interlude 3: Started polishing the chainset, but this looks like it will take some time, so I returned to polishing the bike frame. Getting cramp in my hands now…

I already have a Syncros Cattlehead stem from my P7, which will be next for an overhaul once the E3 is complete. Along with that I am going to use some Dia-Compe SS7’s that have been sitting in my parts box for 17 years or so. A Flite Transalp will sit on top of the seat post.

Interlude 4: Even more polishing of the frame. This cramp in my hands really hurts now…

I stripped the RC35’s down and used swarfega to clean out all the old grease and crud. Found a tub of Pace grease from the deal I did which got me a pair of RC36 Evo’s and found a “PUCH” metal tag inside it! Re-greased the elastomers and internal hardware. When tested they seem to be okay and will be fine until I can get a Judy springs upgrade. But one thing at a time…

Interlude 5: Even more polishing of the frame. This cramp in my hands doesn’t seem to hurt as much now…

THE BIG DECISION: Do I lacquer the frame or not?

I think I will choose to lacquer it, as I don’t really want to keep having to polish it after a ride. Having 2 children under the age of 7, I don’t really have that much spare time and feel it will be difficult to maintain a highly polished finish.

Interlude 6: Even more polishing of the frame. It’s looking quite good now. Funny thing, I don’t have cramp in my hands anymore. I paid the window cleaner and shook his hand today. He had an anguished look on his face and tears came to his eyes. I wonder what he’d been eating…

Pics of bike when bought:

Attachments

• 4 - Nearly there!.JPG
    4 - Nearly there!.JPG
    152.6 KB · Views: 1,031
  • 3 - Spraying clean.JPG
    3 - Spraying clean.JPG
    97.9 KB · Views: 1,029
  • 2 - Stripping lacquer.JPG
    2 - Stripping lacquer.JPG
    84.9 KB · Views: 1,029
  • 1 - Stripping lacquer.JPG
    1 - Stripping lacquer.JPG
    131.3 KB · Views: 1,029
  • Pace RC35's.JPG
    Pace RC35's.JPG
    201.1 KB · Views: 1,031
  • E3 frameforksseat post.JPG
    E3 frameforksseat post.JPG
    159.6 KB · Views: 1,031
Polishing sessions.

Looking good, but still a long way to go...

Attachments

• Polishing 2.JPG
    Polishing 2.JPG
    78.6 KB · Views: 1,011
  • DSCF1627.JPG
    DSCF1627.JPG
    82.1 KB · Views: 1,011
2nd update.

The "base" level of polish is complete. Now I need to finish the drop outs and black polish residue and it's done. I will have to curtail my need to get the frame perfect and remember that after all the frame is 17 years old. I must say the frame looks a lot better in a pic than close up...

Se the pics below. The 2 by the shed are in the shade with and without flash.

Thanks to the suggestion of stewlewis and My_Teenage_Self about the shoelace method. I got some thick flat white bootlaces and they worked a treat.

Do we have a permanent thread were useful ideas could be collected?

Attachments

• DSCF5173.JPG
    DSCF5173.JPG
    215.6 KB · Views: 960
  • DSCF5174.JPG
    DSCF5174.JPG
    76.9 KB · Views: 960
  • DSCF5175.JPG
    DSCF5175.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 960
Looks spot on that , the big issue comes in keeping it looking like that , been there and good luck .

Hi there, not finished yet. Had fiscal difficulties with Christmas and all that; only just got back on an even keel. Frame should be decalled and lacquered soon, then the rebuild fun begins. Should have more pics within a week. If anyone has a couple of spare Orange "stars" for the seat tube, I would be interested.

I'm hoping to do an orange project myself always wanted but never owned one :cry: . If the right thing comes up that is. I'll be watching this thread. I'm also doing my giant trance 2007 up. How i'll be doing all this and trying a few events with sod all £££ $$$ is a complete mystery lol. Best of luck matey!!! Irt looks awesome so far!

what was the process/products you used to strip lacquer off with? Just purchased a similar project. Damn you!!!!

Mr Bionic":1h4wem4c said:
what was the process/products you used to strip lacquer off with? Just purchased a similar project. Damn you!!!!
I got some Ever Build X3 triple strength paint and varnish stripper from my local hardware shop. About 5 quid for a tub. It worked a treat. All I did was follow the instructions on the container, using a paintbrush to apply the stripper to the frame, especially the nooks and crannies. You can see the old lacquer bubbling as the stripper starts to work. Then I hosed off the frame when completed. I just wish I hadn't taken off the foil tube spec decal and that I didn't use scotchbrite to remove the excess stripper that wouldn't hose off. I think a cheapo sponge would have done the job just as well and not left scratches on the frame.

Back