French Fluro Fancy (MBK Hi-Tech Ranger Circa 1989-1990)

Jussa

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
"Impossible is a word to be found in the dictionary of fools" Napoleon Bonaparte.

So when a good friend dropped this French Fancy at my doorstep I decided that it should be given another chance and that whilst some may call me a fool, the word impossible would not be mentioned......

Welcome to my possibly late 80's ? early 90's ? MBK Ranger Hi-Tech.

Rusty unloved and missing quite a few parts this Ranger really had spent most of its time outside in the wilds. The BB was full of mud, Spiders had taken up residence in any cavity going. Cables had rusted through and frayed and the once vibrant paint was looking dull and drab.

Everything was removed from the frame, where it was seized it was cut off, sometimes drastic measures is the only way. The jet wash was used to remove the spiders and mud from the frame and forks. The frame was dried and all bearings replaced and freshly greased in the Headset, Forks mated back up and already it was looking brighter. Wheels were in not bad shape, running true. Sadly the cassette was missing so a NOS Uniglide 7 speed Cassette was sourced. Again all bearings stripped, cleaned and greased and assembled. Some IRC Back Country tyres fitted and once again it was back up on two wheels.

New BB was fitted and a very clean LX 500 Exage Mountain groupset dug out of the Man-cave for fitment. New cables connected the brakes and gears back up and a Zoom seatpost purchased from ebay along with a Vuelta Saddle (Keeping with a European theme) A final T-Cut and polish helped to restore some vibrancy to the frame. New chain was fitted and some pedals I had lying around completed the build.

And here it is, what seemed like an impossible task resulted in a nice piece of French MTB history, if Napoleon was still around I'm sure he would have given it his seal of approval.

Vive La France...............

Attachments

• IMG_5626.jpg
    IMG_5626.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 2,334
  • IMG_5636.jpg
    IMG_5636.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 2,331
  • IMG_5637.jpg
    IMG_5637.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 2,328
  • IMG_5632.jpg
    IMG_5632.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 2,329
  • IMG_4473.jpg
    IMG_4473.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 2,330
  • IMG_4472.jpg
    IMG_4472.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 2,331
  • IMG_4474.jpg
    IMG_4474.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 2,337
Re: French Fancy

That looks really cool and even better that you saved it from the dump.
The only thing i would say is that the saddle is at odds with the stem. I reckon a Rolls or a Turbo would look much more in keeping with its style :)

Gruff":2ld8zbl5 said:
That looks really cool and even better that you saved it from the dump.
The only thing i would say is that the saddle is at odds with the stem. I reckon a Rolls or a Turbo would look much more in keeping with its style :)

Cheers for the comments, I agree on the saddle, the build was literally thrown together from spares for the Man Cave, and some cheap purchases from eBay so the outlay budget on the build was peanuts, I may see if I can find a more appropriate saddle :)

Looks great.

A fluoro Turbo would great, if they did not cost silly money.

Nice to see what a bit of time, effort and a well stocked man cave can achieve.

Saw quite a few of these BITD as a local shop was an MBK dealer. I think this model is an '88 as the '89 Ranger Hi-tech had full Mountain LX group, a chainstay mounted U-brake and some impossibly narrow bars as standard (we all started chopping our bars down to similar widths because of it!). These had nicely made frames that were inexternally brazed in the same factory as the Peugeots and used unbranded cr-mo and Columbus tubes (on the tracker) rather than the Reynolds that Peugeot used. A real blast from the past.

Carl.

mrkawasaki":2it89oaj said:
I have one too - great to look at and ponder the magick of 'internal welding' - but a dog to ride!

Would love to see some pics of yours :D it is a strange beast, however I've ridden worse lol

Back