1988 Saracen Limited Edition

coomber

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Hello

EDIT: SaracenSteve amongst others have now confirmed, with pics, it's a 1988 Limited Edition

As we all know, the 1988 catalogue is the only one missing. I therefore wonder if anyone has any confirmation what this is? The 1987 catalogue has trekker and tufftrax as the same format - u brake chainstay rear and canti front. So 99% sure that's what it is, and they share the same cromo double butted frame, but anybody shed any light would be appreciated.

No plans for it. Will build it up early 2014 funds and time permitting. Might have to be a practical bike though, i.e. kids seat, slicks. You can all hate me for that, I wont hold it against you.

Re: 1988 Saracen Identification needed

file.php

This scan shows the 1988 model range. My best guess is a Trekker.

Thanks Paul, saw that scan before but had forgotten all about it.

Makes no real difference to me as such. Pretty sure its not a blizzard, but up until a month ago hadn't heard of them!

Think the trekker and tufftrax share the same frame, so that's good enough for me.

It's a Trekker - I'm almost 100% sure. The reason I know is that our LBS bitd had a job lot of Tufftraxes in and loads of kids were riding around on either Red or Yellow Tufftraxes - my neighbour (who fancied himself a "cut above") decided to splash out on a Trekker so he didn't look like everyone else!

Oh, and if memory serves, the main difference between the Tufftrax and the Trekker (apart from colour) was groupset - the Tufftrax had Exage Country and the Trekker had Exage Mountain (I couldn't read the small print on your thumbies)

Remember seeing this Blizzard recently and it's rocking plenty of Exage Mountain, but maybe the Trekker was the same spec with better tubing :?:

$T2eC16d,!)EE9s2uiPcFBR5bObfUtQ~~48_80.JPG

I'm picking up a 1988 Blizzard tomorrow to add top my ever expanding collection of Saracens.
It still has it's original white power coat and decals, and presumably the tubing sticker.

I know from a scan from Volume One; Issue One of MBUK, which reviewed the Blizzard, that it has Tange tubing. Hopefully the Tange sticker may say a little more.

It also came specced with Exage Mountain components, so if the Trekker had the same groupset, then I can only assume that the £40 price difference bought you a better frame.

I've also seen the 88 Tufftrax in red or yellow, so with the Blizzard in white, then it stands to reason that the Trekker could well be black.

This also begs the question as to what the Kili Flyer and Conquest looks like...?

Trekker was UU in '87 (you have to look really close at the catalogue and spec to see it) and I would guess that it would have been in '88 too as it was also UU in '89. It was also usually fitted with Deore group as well so i reckon that this sits between Tufftrax (which was Exage Trail and not Country) and Trekker so the Blizzard looks about spot on.

Carl.

drcarlos":2athb9xv said:
Trekker was UU in '87 (you have to look really close at the catalogue and spec to see it) and I would guess that it would have been in '88 too as it was also UU in '89. It was also usually fitted with Deore group as well so i reckon that this sits between Tufftrax (which was Exage Trail and not Country) and Trekker so the Blizzard looks about spot on.

Carl.
Could be a Blizzard I guess, if they also offered it in black as well as white.

Could also be a 'special edition'. ie a leftover 1988 frame, painted and badged up to be sold off in 1989. The Saracen special editions often ended up being black.

I don't mind if it is a blizzard but think it's more likely a trekker. 1989 had some I rear and Canti front. Rupe has a few, i.e.

viewtopic.php?t=195697

EDIT: Fixed the link.

This looks like it to me, except the colour choice isnt as per LRH catalogue scan below.

From here: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... p;t=251100

£300 Tufftrax / Tange MTB / Exage Trail / Yellow
£360 Blizzard / Tange MTB / Exage Mountain / White
£400 Trekker / Tange MTB / Deore / Blue
£560 Kili Flyer / Tange Prestige / Deore / ?
£700 Conquest / Reynolds 531 / Deore XT / Satin
£760 Kili Flyer Comp / Tange Prestige / Deore XT / Green

Back