Poor Kona

Mattbike

Dirt Disciple
hi Folks

I just thought that I would share with you the fate of Poor Kona the 1993 Cinder Cone that some of you noticed on Ebay about a month ago.

Well I purchased it as a project bike to tidy up and use as a commuter.

It certainly was a project, the seat post had broken off inside the frame , there was a smallish dent in the top tube and the mech hanger thread was stripped. Good thing I was planning to make it into a single speed

I spent many an evening sawing down the length of the seat post and eventually managed to chop down with a sharp wood chisel and a long 5mm wide flat blade screw driver and release the post from the frame. The paint was shot so I had to repaint it. Volvo Dark Grey was the colour I chose.

So here are some before and after shots. Sorry the parts and paint colour are not very retro apart from the chain set and the frame. However I could repaint it to the correct colour scheme and replace the dropout in the future.

2387432888_a41cc2216d_b.jpg

I had my first commute on it today. I think it is a great frame that will last and was worth saving

Cheers
Matt

Mattbike":39arbpeu said:
Any suggestions?

They are on Flikr

you need to make the album public, currently if you copy and paste one of your links it says "you must be logged in to see this picture"

Thank you for saving this bike though!

Well done, and well worth saving that frame - double-butted Tange tubing, the same frame as the 1992 Kilauea. There should be a RetroBike award scheme IMHO, in recognition of particularly meritorious saves from the graves such as this one.

I must say that if it had been mine I would have got Gil_M of this parish to copy the decals rather than use modern ones, but I must admit that 1993 decals might have looked a little incongruous alongside that disc brake! And as it is, it does have a certain stealth presence, just right for commuting mode.

I remember seeing that frame on ebay, I was 50/50 going for a bid, it was the stuck seatpost stopped me bidding, I have to say you done an excellent job saving that bike, well done, it's good to see an old tatty Kona saved. Was that can spray job you did yourself on the frame? as it looked job well done?

Back