IMG_3197_zps1fa5ab53.jpg

1983 Fat Chance w/ 531 Box Crown Fork
SN: 8370

Measurements:
20 3/4" Actual TT
21" Effective TT
16" C to T
17" ST
28" Standover ( with fully inflated 26x2.0 tires, as measured from floor to top of top tube, directly inline with bb spindle)

Component highlights:
Black anodized SR Laprade BMX Seatpost
Trick Top Oversized BMX saddle
Ukai 26x2.125he rims
Specialized mountain bike bullmoose (21.0)
TA Cyclotourist Triple Crankset
Tommaselli Racer Brake levers with boots/covers
AME BMX MTB Grips
KKT AMX Pedals
IRC Racer X1 Pro Tires
Specialized Hubset
Specialized Headset
Shimano Deore XT m700 (Deerhead) F & R Derailleurs and shifters

Picked this bike up, a couple years ago, right here on FatCogs, from Don, with a few of the original parts; upgraded/sourced the rest, to make the build as you see it, today. I wanted to emphasis the BMX Cruiser side of things, building this one up, just a bit differently. This one will not be staying with me, but wanted to share it, before it goes.

I welcome all comments; hate it; love it; whatever. If anyone cares to add information about the build, I love to hear them.

Rest of the photos, in the second post.

btw, the saddle is really comfortable; when I picked it up, I had no idea how it would ride, but it rides well, while being more light weight than any of the other MTB saddles on the market, at the time.

IMG_3143_zps91af3ef0.jpg

IMG_3146_zps075e7e0e.jpg

IMG_3149_zpsca50719d.jpg

IMG_3152_zps0c7074ef.jpg

I had my fingers cross when the bike arrived, as I've bought a few 83 and 84 Fats over the years; some with tons of rust; others not so much; have yet to own one that is rust free. This one was better; tried to photograph it, but it was a bit difficult. Most of the rust dust came out with simple cleaning.

IMG_3156_zps94c10188.jpg

IMG_3157_zps2e2ab139.jpg

IMG_3161_zps57de9143.jpg

IMG_3163_zps5e074481.jpg

The Fat came with a WINN Bullmoose and badly faded SR Laprade BMX post. I lucked out picking up the black Specialized Bullmoose and minty Black Ano SR BMX post, then went shopping for a large bmx saddle, that would be well suited for MTB riding; the Trick Top is better than I imagined.

IMG_3174_zps7cf52a22.jpg

Sweet rims. I threw on a 2.50 Tire set just for fun (Maxxis Holy Rollers), and they fit nicely on the rims, and just as nice on the frame. This 83 has tons of clearance- more than my 84, and way more than my late 80's Wickeds.

IMG_3167_zpsb285a3f2.jpg

IMG_3206_zps2e67828d.jpg

This is my second or third 83; they have nice features on the frames, that the later models don't have. Unfortunately, I have yet to land an 83 that fits me; they've either been too large or too small- this one is too small :-(

Nader":2ok1ew8v said:
Lovely build and awesome bike.

Forgive the glut of pics. There were people wanting to see details, and I didn't have time to msg/email everyone, so I just threw them all on here. Will edit out most of the pics, shortly.

Very nice :)

It is welded. Wasn't 1983 the 1st year for welded Fat Chance?

Nice :cool:

I love how fat the seat stays go at the top, they look almost wide enough to make them the same width as the dropouts !

Off topic question if you dont mind - I am off to NYC soon, are there any famous / retro / not to be missed bike shops ? I want to buy something whilst I am there as a keep sake :D

Cheers,

WD :D

Elev12k":2e6umo32 said:
Very nice :)

It is welded. Wasn't 1983 the 1st year for welded Fat Chance?

From what I can tell, it's welded throughout, from the fork, to the rear dropouts, and everywhere in between. The 82's are fillet brazed, from what I've seen, but 83 up are welded, with a few of them having some fillet brazing in spots, along with the welding. I have a 84 that has some brazing at the top tube/head tube junction.

WD Pro":2e6umo32 said:
Nice :cool:

I love how fat the seat stays go at the top, they look almost wide enough to make them the same width as the dropouts !

Off topic question if you dont mind - I am off to NYC soon, are there any famous / retro / not to be missed bike shops ? I want to buy something whilst I am there as a keep sake :D

Cheers,

WD :D

The rear seat stays are an awesome feature on this frame, and other 83 frames. I've owned 84/85/86/88 and newer, and none of them are that wide at the seat stays or chain stays. Like I posted, I ran a 2.50 tire, just for fun, and it fit. IF the bike stays with me a lil longer than anticipated, I'll throw them on again, and take a few pics.

As for bike shops that have vintage stuff in NYC; can't say I've been to them all- space is at a premium in NYC, so most bikes shops are cramp, as it is, and there's not much in the way of old stock (NOS), aka dead stock, but every now and then, one can happen on a shop with some cool parts/frames/bikes hanging around.

I known Renaissance Cycles across the street from the American Museum of Natural History, on the upper west side, had some NOS cool parts in a display case, for the longest time, but they finally sold it all off, on ebay.
Then there was Metro, which is a chain, with a few stores, that had some old frames in their warehouse, and on display at a couple of their stores, one being in New Rochelle.
VeloNYC will have a cool old bike or two hanging around, occasionally, but they mostly belong to customers.

I'm not as in touch with the bike scene, as I mostly ride solo. It's my alone time. I would suggest, if you have a facebook, checking out the following pages, and asking on there:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/nycmtb/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/100452080489/

Good luck!

Back