Univega Alpina 5.3 1994

chrisv40

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I won this recently on ebay then wondered how the hell I was going to get back to East Yorkshire from Thetford, a short while later and Legrandefromage has agreed to go and collect it and bring it to me at last Saturdays Peaks National!
You've got to love the unbelievable generosity of people on this site, Mark more than anyone as he also performed a massive act of karma denoting a full bike as a prize at the Peaks ride too :D

So the bike, Mark said it was well used I think were his words, slight understatement it was a bit of a shed to be honest, everything important was in good working order though surprisingly under years of crap and neglect.

I wish I had taken some before pics because the frame and parts have polished up so nicely! The bike has had a few aftermarket upgrades to nearly full Lx with an Xt front mech which is always nice and other than a Ti saddle, grips, a Ritchey stem and of course cables I havent had to replace anything.

This is to be my commuter/road bike and has replaced my very heavy Timberline and now I've fitted the guards, rack and cages etc its still very light.

Not had chance for a ride yet so we will see if my ride to work is any quicker soon.

Thanks again Mark :D

That's looking miles better after a clean up,needs matching lx cantis though I reckon mate!

Lovely find Chris, you know how I feel about my 5.5 they are such nice riding frames. On the 5.3 were the stays also 969? I know the 5.5 and 5.7 are 969 tubing throughout. I do ride my 5.5 to work from time to time and its usually around 18mph average whereas my road bikes average 19.5-20mph so its not much slower than a road bike and its capable offroad as you know.

Nice bike! Did Univega also made a special metal matrix from the airforce?? They claimed it was bulletproof... I thought it was the same material they made the blades from a helicopter. Boralyn?? Never seen them anymore

dalecooper":3t5v485b said:
Nice bike! Did Univega also made a special metal matrix from the airforce?? They claimed it was bulletproof... I thought it was the same material they made the blades from a helicopter. Boralyn?? Never seen them anymore

Yes they did make a Boralyn framed bike, very much on my wishlist but when they do come up they fetch quite a high price.

We_are_Stevo":fujkvq7q said:
Erm, why are the bar ends on the wrong ends? :?

They aren't, they are on the correct way round, Univega's Concept bar ends are a strange shape but lovely to ride with.

Back