Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:30 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject: Is it really retro?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:53 am 

Hi all,
New to the site and have recently got back on my old very unique bike from the mid 90's. The frame is a Daewoo Genesis which I got from a guy who worked in a local bike shop for helping him move house. I then gathered up anything on offer or going cheap from various bike shops, mixture of XTR Deore XT, but my favourite bits are the anodised red Aero deep V rims...

It has had some alterations over the years, rigid fork to a Girvin vector2, then recently a set of early Judys, and a set of rapid fire shifters, ( saved from a skip!), oh and a comfy saddle as my ass prefers something padded nowadays lol.

Just want some thoughts form you lot....

Is it really retro even though I built it myself?

Ian

Attachments:
File comment: My one of a kind....
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 271.53 KiB | Viewed 373 times ]

Post subject: Re: Is it really retro?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:35 pm 
Retro Guru

These appeared in 1997 so officially retro, although the rims/forks lean towards the glitzy modern era. Judging by the saddle and stem you must have short legs and long arms :wink:

More snooty members here will turn their noses up at Daewoo but their aluminium bikes got decent reviews back then. Think of it as a poor-man's GT Zaskar.

Post subject: Re: Is it really retro?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:29 am 

lrh wrote:
These appeared in 1997 so officially retro, although the rims/forks lean towards the glitzy modern era. Judging by the saddle and stem you must have short legs and long arms :wink:

More snooty members here will turn their noses up at Daewoo but their aluminium bikes got decent reviews back then. Think of it as a poor-man's GT Zaskar.

lrh,

Yup youre right short arse with long arms lol. liked the GT at the time but i have always found it hard to find bikes that fit me....

I had a proflex 550' 16in in pearl white, was the love of my life, until it got nicked...grrrr. Altough I do still have a vector 2 that was on the Genesis for a while.

As for my genesis, I know its not loved by many but I dare anyone to ride it and say they hate it....When i built it i was obsessed by weight or lack of it. Whet first built, with no extras and continential light weight tires i think I got it down to around 24-26lbs, I was happy with that :D

Always loved kona's but I never felt right on them, I am just to bloody short lol :lol:

Loving the site and all the memories of drooling over bikes in shop windows in the early 90's....... :shock:

Ian