my pace rc200 refurb rebuild

Paceg60

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi all im fairly new to the forum, but the small amount of use ive had here ive found really helpful, so thank you :D
I joined because I bought my pace rc200 frame and froks from a neighbough last week, at first I didn't know what model or year the frame was, all I knew was it was a pace and ive wanted a pace since my teenage years, so it was a bit of a gamble/impulse buy. This is when I found the forum, trying to find out more info on the frame.
I belive (please correct me if im wrong) that it is a 1991 f1 rc200?
well here is the frame

The plan is to strip it and polish it up or maybe repaint / powdercoat, not to sure yet but swinging more towards the polished alloy look and then maybe some anodized red parts with pewter/gunmetal bits??
I also bought the forks at the same time these are a bit newer that the frame but I quite like the look of them. They are pace rc36 evo 2 forks. When I got them they were looking a bit sorry for themselves, and the damping was terrible with a shortage of oil, so ive completely stripped them down cleaned them up today, and I will be rebuilding them some time this week.

This will be quite a slow build, as im on a budget so bits will be done as and when ive got the spare cash, but cant wait to get it built up, and I will post updates as and when I do anything.
If I was to go down the route of stripping of the anodized finish and polishing up the frame what would be the best way of stripping the ano off? wet and dry paper?

Hi there

its either an F1 or F2 as they departed from square seat tubes for later models to allow the use of a normal FD

check out viewtopic.php?f=1&t=20895 and see where yours fits in.

I own an 1993 F2 which I beleive only came in a polished finish and has different (metal) decals so I'd say its either not original or its an earlier model

Your right your forks are mid to late 90's but will still look great.

also worth a look at http://pacecycles.easyspaceshops.com/ep ... etro_Parts

looking forward to seeing this getting re-built :D

been nearly a month now so thought id better post up some progress, after asking advise on the forum about polishing the frame, I was convinced by other members to keep the frame original.
so I thought id give it a good clean and polish, and im very happy with how it has cleaned up, this is after the autoglym treatment.

Forks have been fully stripped, cleaned, polished and rebuilt with all new seals, oil and grease. (thanks tim justbackdated) for all the parts and info.

Now ive started searching for the parts I want to build it up, here is a few bits ive got so far.

Think im going to strip the pedals down, mirror polish the bodies and get the cages re anodised either in black or with whatever colour I go for throughout the bike, was originally going with red but think ive changed my mind..yet again... :oops:
Also got a rc45 stem on its way too me and some NOS mavic 217 rims, just got to decide on what hubs to use. Then im searching for a pace chainsuck device for under the bottom bracket if anyone has one.

Some lovely parts there mate and glad you decided to keep the original paint :)

RC45 stem and Sub130 bars are going to look great with those forks :)

What other goodies are you going to hang on her? As you're going for the Shimano pedals, a full XT build with thumb shifters would look ace, though if you wanted period correct, 1992 was the first year if XTR M900, though those components would come at a price and I see you're on a budget.

Could of course go the British build way with X lite components, Middleburn etc, though think the economical way would be XT/Deore DX :)

Probably not a help, just my 2ps worth, oh, don't forget to add your frame number to the official pace serial number thread, be interested to see if it's an early or late F1 :)

Cheers

Rich

Oh, almost forgot, the bolt on the rear monostay houses a Brake rocker, something Pace only had on the F1.

Justbackdated had a few knocking about a while back if you wanted to run cantis, otherwise, if you decide to run v brakes, there'll be no need to worry :)

Rich

Rich":vj4amyl9 said:
Oh, almost forgot, the bolt on the rear monostay houses a Brake rocker, something Pace only had on the F1.

Justbackdated had a few knocking about a while back if you wanted to run cantis, otherwise, if you decide to run v brakes, there'll be no need to worry :)

Rich

So going by this mine is defiantly a f1 then, I thought it was an f2, thanks for the clarification that it's not an f2.
Where do I post up what frame number it is? Is there a list of the others? It would be interesting to see what others are out their.
Stem turned up today also, can't wait to start building it up.

Deffo an F1, Adrian Carter was quoted saying only 50 of these frames were made :)

Put a search on for 'official pace serial number thread' and that should get you there, Neill is the original thread. Starter, my F1 is missing the frame number sadly so I haven't a clue where it sits :(

Cheers

Rich

Back