'93 MT.Shasta - old and battered replaced for better

saulus

GT Fan
Feedback
View
I have a soft spot for this subsidary GT brand after 10 years of loyal service. I bought this one in 2003 from my LBS. It came out in 93 -/+ and retailed at £750. Mine has had a bit of abuse before I got to it and I only added to it!..Winter hack, shopping bike, trailer towing and work - it's done it all and been rock solid.I learned more from RB and started to love it for it's history too.

The frame is Tange double butted cro-mo and GT 'bologna lite' or Rock Shox Quadras forks are optional. It has a great and generous catalogue spec of Deore LX/DX/XT throughout- XT Fr/R Mechs as standard. Onza L bends too.

This is the FIRST one I owned - the nicer one is lower down- keep scrolling ;)

It was getting more b*ggered with time and a dent in the top tube got worse and I got more picky as I learned more too :) :

So I bought another one when I saw it and swapped out the parts on it to make it closer to catalogue spec with what I have and this is the result. Heres the old frame against the new built up one. The paint glows compared to the UV faded banger that it replaces :) :

I do love it, its my only steel framed bike and it's one of my favourite rides from a handling perspective. The frame size is an 1" smaller in both tt and seat tube length but the loooong 150mm Ritchey stem makes up for this. It rides great with slicks for town and knobblies for trail. I shoved a Turbo saddle on top, some black canti hangers and some Deore pedals as I had them kicking around in a box.
Fork Dilemma: The switchblades are what came originally on it and IMO are too good for this bike!!.. I need another set of forks for this bike so I can free these up forks something else. I do have the original forks from the old frame but they are in bad condition and I reckon they would let the bike down if I put them on.

More pics:

I would like to give a big shout out to 'player' for collecting, boxing this up and posting the second bike to me. Nice one mate, this wouldn't of happened if it wasn't for your efforts.

Cheers all

Forgot to add a spec sheet:

Frame: MT. Shasta. Tempest - Tange, double butted

Fork: Tange Switchblades

Headset: Deore XT - I think
Stem: Team Ritchey
Handlebar: GT, Alloy
Grips: Foam
Barends: Onza 'L' bends
Handle bar end caps: GT

Brakes: Shimano Deore LX M651
Brake Pads: Kool stops

Cantilever cable hangers: funky ones off 'racer x' on here :)
Brake Levers: Shimano MT63

Shifters: Deore DX Thumbies
Front Derailleur: Deore XT M735
Rear Derailleur: Deore XT M735
Cassette: Shimano HG
Cranks: Deore XT M739

Pedals: Deore bear traps

Rims: Araya RM 7
Hubs: Deore LX

Tyres: Tioga City slickers (?name)

Saddle: Selle Turbo
Seatpost: Zoom
Seatpost Binder: ebay cheapo but matches :)

Cheers

Exeter Man":1s8rlgn3 said:
Have you tried giving the old forks a really good T-cut?

Nice bike BTW ;).

Regards

Cheers.

Here's the forks; UV bleached and a tad pitted but maybe I can bring myself to try them on the frame? Hmmm:

As you've already got the forks, I don't see what you have to lose by trying some T-cut. I used to have a red Corsa which was faded to pink on some panels. A good session with T-cut, then that coloured polish (can't remember the name), would bring it up nicely again. Admittedly, it would fade back to pink relatively quickly. Maybe if I'd waxed it too it might have helped.

I like the way this bike has taken a real battering from everything you've thrown at it - a real worker!

Regards

Exeter Man":3jildw7c said:
As you've already got the forks, I don't see what you have to lose by trying some T-cut. I used to have a red Corsa which was faded to pink on some panels. A good session with T-cut, then that coloured polish (can't remember the name), would bring it up nicely again. Admittedly, it would fade back to pink relatively quickly. Maybe if I'd waxed it too it might have helped.

I like the way this bike has taken a real battering from everything you've thrown at it - a real worker!

Regards

Yesss..Its inevitable I will try the T-cut now - They're on the kitchen table :LOL:

It's still a worker but now loved far far more now.. Perhaps too much for 'winter hack' status. Perhaps I ought to get another steel framed bike for this reason.. ;)

It was a pleasure to help you out Saul :cool: I love your enthusiasm for the brand also and its just part of the reason why I keep coming back here.

About the bike saulus.You say the the Tange fork is to good for the bike.Why mate.If its what came with the bike as it left the shop floor then you have a correct build if you like.
Of course if you are eyeing another frame for the switchblades then great use those and let us have a look :D I think as Exeterman has said try some t-cut first then a wax polish afterwards.

player":vzf32g3a said:
You say the the Tange fork is to good for the bike.Why mate.If its what came with the bike as it left the shop floor then you have a correct build if you like.
Of course if you are eyeing another frame for the switchblades then great use those and let us have a look :D

I'm really torn about what to do with them player!! I don't have a plan for them as such..

Alas those Switchblades are not a spec' correct build part but they're about right for '93 aren't they?

What years did they make Switchblades? Mine have little hearts on the inside of each leg near the steerer (a lovely detail) and pannier eyelets by the drop outs

They were fitted afterwards mate -probably by that chap you collected it from :). Out the catalogue, it would of had those forks I posted previously above -GT 'Bolinas Lite' or Rock Shox Quadras.

Might just have the perfect fork if not strictly spec for your model. It's a NOS MT Shasta Sus fork from a '93 Backwoods :D
PM me if your interested fella.

Attachments

• 20130910_123818.jpg
    20130910_123818.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 650
Kult Friction":2olryxda said:
Might just have the perfect fork if not strictly spec for your model. It's a NOS MT Shasta Sus fork from a '93 Backwoods :D
PM me if your interested fella.

I did mull this offer over, but would be straying from keeping it rigid and close to spec. But they ^^ look mint! Thanks for offer.

Here's a shot of the old forks after a Tcut. IMO they are passable. I am in two minds.. Leave the Switchblades on OR stick the ones above back on & find a new home for the Switchblades..?

DSC_0993_zpsb786ccf2.jpg

Back