Flea mrket Trek 800 Antelope.

Miguello

Dirt Disciple
I headed to the flea market again this morning, mostly looking for bikes to buy and resell. (used to be my side job before I moved to Louisiana) The main problem is that supply of decent 80's and 90's bikes seems to have dried up for the time being. Well, walking down the aisle I spotted this dark green 22" Antelope, and I walked over to check it out. Well, it turns out it was only $25, so I said what the hell, and bought it. It was filthy mostly, and the components shot from no care or tuning.

So, I got it home, ripped it to shreds, polished the frame, and began building. Just got dark so I ran out of time, so I can post pictures tomorrow probably( If the Mrs. lets me go buy cables on her day off, hehe.) The bottom bracket is the only thing that stayed stock. I had everything but a couple of cables in the stash. Deore DX derailleurs, black LX cantilevers, Matrix Single Track Pro rims, chrome Schwinn Bullmoose bars(CrMo) Origin 8 brake levers, Deore XT 7 speed thumbies, Yeti grips, Panaracer Pasela TG in 1.5" blackwall, etc etc...

I hopped on and rode it around the yard with no brakes, and it's perfect! Can't wait to get the brakes and front derailleur all cabled up, and hit the road. Swapping all the low end parts out for decent stuff dropped the weight considerably! So, for about $35, I will have yet another over improved bike I don't need. :LOL: :roll:

Pics tomorrow!

I may get a slightly taller stem and bar. Unless a mtb is HUGE, I always end up leaning on the grips with bullmoose bars. Maybe a black painted alloy stem, and a set of trekking bars might do the trick. Not sure what happened to the trekking bars, I used to have a set, and now they're nowhere to be found. I had to use the straddle cable off the old brakes for the front, and when I took the old brakes out of the trash I was floored by how heavy just one side was? I swear it weighed more than a full set of the LX canti's, and then some! I bet I dropped a good 3-4 pounds on the rebuild, easily! Maybe more?

Pics as promised, just finished 30 minutes ago. I wish I had taken a before picture. It was horrible!

Green800one_zpse4c40a26.jpg

Green800three_zps54e80841.jpg

Green800two_zpsf78f2eb9.jpg

Latest posts

Back