Taking my time on this one...
Unfortunately the paint was unsalvageable - so off it went to the powdercoaters. Take one powdercoated frame:
Add two tins of Humbrol enamel modelling paint:
(Handy having a proper workshop underneath your office...)
Not factory but very retro. Decals aren't available so I had a little play in Illustrator to get a quote - $80 or £40 for cut vinyl which is only marginally more expensive than NOS or repro decals anyway. I will re-do the artwork properly when I find the time, but this is what I produced in my lunch hour just using stock fonts:
Sadly the forks had quite a bit of rust around the crown so they went in the scrap metal bin - but happily the mechanic downstairs had these old Manitou forks, converted to spring/oil, which he gifted me. They are threadless so no chance to use that ultra-cool Haro Wing Strut stem though...
They were used with hydraulic rim brakes so no spring plates on the canti mounts - I couldn't find any so I made these up out of some washers one evening. I found some canti studs with an extra-long threaded section as they are quite thick.
I acquired an old XTR rear mech which I rebuilt - the jockey wheels have the smallest bearings I've ever seen:
I have been on the lookout for gumwall tyres but sadly I can't find anything. Annoyingly I sold these just before I left the UK - they pushed my luggage overweight, but when I got to the airport I found out that I had an additional 10kg... argh!
Next up: wheels, cranks, controls, finishing kit - then the build.