Wilderness Trail Bikes (WTB) Phoenix

Sounds very interesting Melvin, in the absence of pics any description available? This wasn't Simon's ss beauty was it?

Here they are! :D =>

2383577506_6f3c1f4875_b.jpg

2383574316_2ef304d348_b.jpg

Type II fork, Togglecam and New Paradigm GreaseGuard headset =>

2383582774_0a584cc8fe_b.jpg

GreaseGuard for hubs too. The little dot is a grease port. Right pic: Handmade by Steve Potts :cool: =>

2383571114_094f00e52e.jpg
2382734409_01fb859021.jpg

The bottom bracket is a GreaseGuard unit too. The original bolts are missing though. Shop probably threw them away when replacing the cranks :evil: WTD: Original WTB GreaseGuard crank bolts.

140mm spacing for wheels with less dish (thuss stronger wheels) =>

2382732229_825477b915.jpg

This is a bike of a trully exceptional class. Refinement is very high and it is full of very clever, innovative ideas. It is not the popular favourite (like FATs, Yetis and Kleins are), but be a select group of true connaisseurs the WTB is VERY HIGHLY regarded. Well, they have a point!

I am so happy I got my hands on this Phoenix. Overhere in Holland the Retro-thing seems to take off too now. Compared with years ago I have a hard time on local classified sites nowadays. So many people browsing (and they all think everything is cheap, because they are used to modern bike prices :? ). Now this WTB seemed to stay somewhat below surface, what was my luck. Well, it probably had also a lot do with that it was posted sunday evening and I had it in my boot monday afternoon :LOL: With such one has to have a prompt reaction. I am very well aware this is a once in a live time oppertunity!

I got it from a gent in Utrecht. He had no car and used this bike to be mobile and more specificly for touring/travel purposes. He took very well care of it. Regularly GreaseGuard'ing :cool: all parts... Little bummer is some rust is present under paint top toptube and front seattube. So it needs a repaint. Will do my utmost to get it right of course.

The gent bought the bike with other, more high end parts around mid 90s. Over the years many parts were swapped for modern not so well matching (plain ugly) parts here and there. I will choose a more racy, high end direction for the new build. I do not completely rule out the option the Bruce Gordon rack stays though. Not made up my mind on that yet.

Of course I am really looking forward to do this project. I will put a lot effort in it to make everything right. I will keep you people up to date on the project from time to time and ask for your advise when needed. Stay tuned!

Elev12k":1nrrn3r4 said:
Little bummer is some rust is present under paint top toptube and front seattube. So it needs a repaint. Will do my utmost to get it right of course.

From what I can see the rust doesn't look too bad and I'd be tempted to live with it as is for a while, but given your other builds I'm sure you will get it right if you repaint.

Nice one :D

Gotta say, you've got a nose for sniffing out some real classic beauties Melv.

Nice find indeedy :cool:

Fab bike Melvin, will love to see it again once you have put your own mark on it

Back