Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:55 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:36 pm 

Hi folks,

Thought I'd post a few pictures of some of my bikes - the Viscount & '94 (approx...) Stumpy are sold but I still own (and will never sell) the '88 Stumpy & Raleigh. I'm also in the process of restoring a '91 GT Karakorum and a 1938 BSA Sports-cycle.

Attachments:
File comment: Thought I'd see what it looked like bare-metalled and matt-lacquered...looked quite cool but didn't do it for me so sold it!
Viscount.jpg
Viscount.jpg [ 467.1 KiB | Viewed 250 times ]
File comment: Always liked Stumpjumpers and thought this would make a good one to restore in that being a '88 it had the U brake - not a great choice in the wet UK. The frame had had additional canti mounts lashed to the frame and also a small crack on the chainstays (nr U brake). Did plan on Deore DX throughout and this may still happen as I have a complete, almost mint groupset set aside for another project...
Stumpy.jpg
Stumpy.jpg [ 479.22 KiB | Viewed 250 times ]
File comment: This was my Granddads bike - he gave up cycling in his 90s and asked me to get rid of his old bike - thought it would be interesting to do something with it...so I rebuilt the wheels, refurbished the frame and replaced pretty much everything steel with aluminium!
Raleigh.jpg
Raleigh.jpg [ 179.85 KiB | Viewed 250 times ]
File comment: Thought it would be interesting to build a single-speed Stumpy as if it was built by Specialized...so I did it properly, converting the dropouts & removing cable mounts etc. Looked awesome but I live in Devon and the novelty of one gear when surrounded by hills soon wore-off...hence sold!
misc june 09 024.jpg
misc june 09 024.jpg [ 266.63 KiB | Viewed 250 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:42 pm 
BoTM Winner / Gold Trader / Rider
BoTM Winner / Gold Trader / Rider

Very nice bikes! But tell me something about that '88 Stumpy?

Is it a '88 frame with older decals? Decals look like 1985. You just like the look of it?

Cheers,
Bart

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:16 pm 

Hi Bart,
Yes, the frame is an '88 and the decals, I assume are '85. When I first got as a frame it was red & white with day-glo yellow & pink type decals. I wasn't too keen on the original decals and as they were unavailable, I used these instead.

My work-in-progress GT should be getting replica decals made-up by one of my brother in-laws with a signwriting/decal business - should look original!
Cheers, Andy