yeti fro, new project ....now rebuilt....

redfern1950s

Retro Guru
Hi,
I picked this up last week, i hav'nt been able to find the frame number, but there is a 92 on the bottom bracket shell.
It is also a pre gusset frame.
Sadly though, this bike must have spent most of its life out side, it has severe sun bleaching to its paint and to see it now you would never have thought it was dark purple... , and a multitude of stone chips that have rust and area's of surface rust here & there, all of which are easily sorted with a shot blast and re powder...
Bit of a very sad tale comes with this one, the original owner bought two of these back in 92ish.
One for himself, the other for his wife......., well im still in shock about this, his wifes fro was all black and may have been hardly used, BUT for some reason unknown to me :
IT WAS TAKEN TO THE TIP !!!!!

I wonder, is there any one in the poole/dorset area know of this black fro ?

Anyway, shocking it is..., im just glad this one came up for sale.

Not the best of pic, but shows the sun bleaching..

1992 yeti fro by redfern1950s, on Flickr

1990 yeti fro by redfern1950s, on Flickr

campagnolo icarus cantilevers by redfern1950s, on Flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/75074049@N ... hotostream

Re: yeti fro, new project

What a great find / Rescue :)

Sad news on the other one :cry: lets hope a "Tip Monkey" took it home

to coin a well used phase "I'm pulling up a chair and following this one"

Nice one.I was kinder hoping that somebody here had grabbed it and did a have a sneaky thought of bidding too but decided not to as have far to many projects at home and bikes wise.

What colour are you thinking of then or are you going to keep it original?

I originally bought this set of wheels for my ultimate.., and have now decided to add these to the fro build.
NOS : XT rear DX front hubs on mavic X517 sup rims., with 20year old red z max wcs tyres.

1990 yeti ultimate by redfern1950s, on Flickr

The little wheel that the front mech cable runs around was knackered on the fro, putting out the feelers on this forum came up trumps with in an hour of asking.., bought of 'racer x'

Picture below shows old & new, slight difference in size, but works perfectly.

yeti fro by redfern1950s, on Flickr

Got a choice here, the tioga seat post has just arrived , bought of ebay. the very well used one is the first generation syncros post orriginally fitted to my ultimate - its very slightly bent , but hardly noticable ( has custom blue anodising )

yeti fro by redfern1950s, on Flickr

Ahh so it did end up with someone on here. I was in lengthy discussions with the seller but gave up after he messed around too much.......glad you had the stamina to stick with it.
Whats the rust situation like? He would'nt give me any pics but these are very prone to dreaded seat tube rust.

Progress is slow with this build, mainly down to locating the parts..
The stem that came with this fro is good, but ive always used a steel FTW, i think the atac is more suited to the alloy yeti's..

Although this was'nt in the best condition, its cleaned up very nicely, stripped & primed ready for paint..

original FTW stem by redfern1950s, on Flickr

original FTW stem by redfern1950s, on Flickr

yeti-man":36y417j3 said:

+1

Martin
Have you made your mind up on the colour yet ?

you're right about the FTW ATAC stem looking more at home on an ARC, that less porky snorkel will look great on your FRO.

Back