Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:51 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:19 am 
Retro Guru

Retro Spud wrote:
ez054098 wrote:
Always, always, always wanted one of these! So nice!

I never slept for 24hr when I saw this come up, just kept telling myself its now or never
I'm not religious but if he's there the big fella smiled upon that day

I learned long ago not to wait on unicorns. I have missed a couple of amazing bikes because I told myself "another will come along." I did that with a dolomite Attitude and ended up waiting 5 years until another came along.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:11 am 
Retro Guru

An absolutely fantastic looking bike ... can't wait to see this finished

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:04 pm 
Retro Guru

You lucky sun of a gun...

Superb find 8)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:37 pm 
Retro Guru

Retro Spud wrote:
The rear was a different story each leg returned so slowly it was almost painful, upon inspection all but one of the “top out” and “bottom out” elastomers had all turned to a thick highly sticky red goo which took well over 4 hrs to clean out

How did you do to clean the inside of the legs ?
I have a couple of Manitou (1 & 2) with the same issue and did not find yet an efficient way to remove that shit .. any tips are welcome !

On a side note, my FS frame was built only 6 weeks after yours (mid-May) and its s/n is over 1100 (don't remember exactly). I'm wondering how many of them they were producing per month at that time ...?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:43 pm 
MacRetro rider
MacRetro rider

Location: Near a tree, by a river in a hole in the ground....
My frame's are FS 940512 born 1 February 94 and I have the remnants of FS01140 born 12 May 93 and died of a severe crack habit sometime in 2010....

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:23 am 
Gold Trader / PoTM Winner / RB Rider

Location: Royal Forest of Dean (Still looking for the Bear !)
thnos wrote:
Retro Spud wrote:
The rear was a different story each leg returned so slowly it was almost painful, upon inspection all but one of the “top out” and “bottom out” elastomers had all turned to a thick highly sticky red goo which took well over 4 hrs to clean out

How did you do to clean the inside of the legs ?
I have a couple of Manitou (1 & 2) with the same issue and did not find yet an efficient way to remove that shit .. any tips are welcome !

To be honest it was a horrid afternoon.

I removed as much as possible with a left over length of architectural wooden beading but to clean all the residue out I needed help….

I got a long shanked screw driver and using electrical tape mounted a tooth brush onto it and with the help on white spirit set about the task, all was working well until the white spirit dissolved the glue on the tape.

The mark two version saw a new (hard) tooth brush liberated from the bathroom cabinet lashed to the screw driver with carpet tape and the re-enforced with a few small zip ties, worked a treat in conjunction with more white spirit. To get the cack off the bottom I just used the “muslin cloth” you use to Tecut cars and wrapped it around a length of wooden beading.

Wish it was more hi-tech….

thnos wrote:
On a side note, my FS frame was built only 6 weeks after yours (mid-May) and its s/n is over 1,100 (don't remember exactly). I'm wondering how many of them they were producing per month at that time ...?

I guess once they tooled up, the factory was able to churn them out at a rapid rate of knots, must confess it would be great to find a Manitou version of Yeti’s “Frank the Welder” who could give us the low down.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:36 am 

Location: Royal Forest of Dean (Still looking for the Bear !)
boxxer wrote:
My frame's are FS 940512 born 1 February 94 and I have the remnants of FS01140 born 12 May 93 and died of a severe crack habit sometime in 2010....

Shortly after joining Retro Bike I vowed that I'd never join the ranks of “garage queen” owners .....
So what do you reckon, if I take it out and ride the darn thing, it'll fall apart around me quicker than a 1970's Fiat :shock:

I knew they were very prone to cracking when I bought it, but then so are Alpinestars and Yeti's from the same era :cry:

Guess I'll just have to move to Holland and ride it on the flat lands avoiding pot holes in the road :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:35 am 
Old School Grand Master

Ride it but don't abuse it...

...gonna need surgery to remove the grin from your face following the first outing! 8)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:24 am 
Retro Guru

boxxer wrote:

mine is from the 12 May 93 too !! (FS01118)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:19 pm 
MacRetro rider
MacRetro rider

Location: Near a tree, by a river in a hole in the ground....
Retro Spud wrote:
boxxer wrote:

Shortly after joining Retro Bike I vowed that I'd never join the ranks of “garage queen” owners .....
So what do you reckon, if I take it out and ride the darn thing, it'll fall apart around me quicker than a 1970's Fiat :shock:

I knew they were very prone to cracking when I bought it, but then so are Alpinestars and Yeti's from the same era :cry:

Guess I'll just have to move to Holland and ride it on the flat lands avoiding pot holes in the road :lol:

I'm working on the one ride round the local trail centre - no jumps and then either hang it from the roof or all it on, no sentiment around my bikes, if used it will crack - the tubing is stupid thin and mine is even cracked around the bottle bosses on the seat tube, take from that what you will....

The dead one came from a fellow Macretro rider who had made 2 into 1 and be gave me the remnants as a favour

They are about to be sent to Rojo to help him complete his bike - I was so close to asking FTW to make me a modern frame and use the legs from mine - bit like a C26 (or C46 type...) sort of 20th anniversary special and a way to preserve my frame if I decide to keep it

Mine is getting XTR and hope hydros so will be unique among Mani's!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next