Frontiera Campag MTB

xxnick1975

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
The eagle eyed among you might have figured out already I'm the lucky guy that bought this awesome bike!

I've followed this one for over a year, and eventually managed to agree a deal with Laurie, the owner, patient man and all round good fella.

Great story and detective work by the usual suspects here

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=206160

Took advantage of the bank holiday to pick it up , so here are a few pictures as it arrived, and with a few small changes I've made tonight.

Attachments

• new tyres and pedals.jpg
    new tyres and pedals.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 1,272
  • new 3.jpg
    new 3.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 1,272
  • new 2.jpg
    new 2.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 1,272
  • as it arrived 2.jpg
    as it arrived 2.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 1,272
  • as it arrived.jpg
    as it arrived.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 1,272
Spot the difference?

Switched out the tyres for 2 farmer johns, not the best, but all I have spare just now. Have I put them on the right way round btw?

Ideally think some ground controls would look nice on this - i have some on a stumpy, so might try them. Any other suggestions?

Took off the mavic look pedals and put on some generic flats i had kicking about. I was thinking about trying to sell the mavics on the Roadie section, given the spec of the bike they must be decent, good idea?

Will keep my eye out for some Euclid pedals, indeed anything Campag, but wont hold my breath, at least not in my budget :D

Lastly I flipped the saddle over for an older turbo. I have a nice one with better logos that i will try once i have a bit more time. The one on the bike is very nice but its a 94, so a bit late. Have an instinct a Rolls would actually be the ticket here - but again looking for ideas.

So whats it like to ride. Well so far only had a spin around the block but very comfortable, short in the top tube, generous rise on the stem. Quite like a modern XC - what I would call a "command" riding position.

Fairly smooth, not quite as silky as the (beleived to be) Roberts i bought recently, but still flows nicely. However whats very noticable is how neutral this bike is around the rider.

Its kind of like a BMW where it feels like it will roll forward as easily as it will roll backwards, incredibly well balanced.

Anyway should get out for a longer ride later in the week to see whats its like on the trails.

First real exposure to Campag - will report back on this later. Some bits are gorgeous, other bits are bonkers!

Lovely bike, glad to see it go to a good home. I looked at the adverts for this bike many times, and have to admit I find bikes of this quality and history somewhat hard to resist! If I had any cash spare at the time I would have bought it instantly.

Very interested to hear what you think of the Campag bits, never had them on a mountain bike before.

Cheers,
Andrew

Im made up this bike is staying here and more importantly staying in one piece..... :cool: British builder, quality tubeset, fillet brazed and an Original spec "campagnolo" groupset.......QUALITY..... :cool:

And to my mind more than shear Coincidence and pure luck that the latter Orange Formula has a passing resemblance too, to be fair.

I held back sooooooo many times on this I lost count and would love to see it first hand some time.

Great to see it with some real tyres on it too, and cant wait to hear what your long term evaluation is of the campagnolo group. When the Euclid group came out, its was called by some "Overkill" and yet by others "Beautiful".

It was both OverKill and Yet Beautiful, and my take on it was simple..... As a quality manufacturer of Exquisite road bike components, Campagnolo Jumped into the fray of Mountain Bike groupsets and took the word "Mountain" quite literally. Its strong and Yet on the heavier side, But Man when I saw those Euclid Brake levers for the first time on the First Zinn ever shown to the Public at the Malverns, I got far far too excited, and they still hit the spot for me to this day....!

If I could be so bold as to make a suggestion, the 3 items that would finish this bike would be an NOS pair of tyres, A Campagnolo Saddle, and the Original Campagnolo MTB clipless pedals if you don't find the Euclid bear traps with toeclips and straps.... (bearing in mind the Euclid pedal is the spec correct option for this bike, as the clipless pedal came to market approx. 15/18 months after the build).

Not that any of the above needs to be done, but for me would be the personal finishing touch.

What a perfect end to this Retrobike strory.......Another Rare British bike Saved................. :cool:

Awesome looking bike :cool: :cool: :cool:

My kind of bike all over. Hope you get those Euclid pedals sorted for it ;)

sinnerman":ignbq9lv said:
Another Rare British bike Saved
+1

I think the Campagnolo Electa saddle was the Original Choice when this bike was first assembled. Hand Stitched with internal Air Bladder (pump supplied) I think this originally came to market as early as 1986, with originally five models in the range.

A very sought after saddle even today... :cool:

Attachments

• Campagnolo Electa Saddle..jpg
    Campagnolo Electa Saddle..jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 1,169

Attachments

• Campagnolo Euclid pedals..jpg
    Campagnolo Euclid pedals..jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 1,165
  • Campagnolo MTB..jpg
    Campagnolo MTB..jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 1,165
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Found these Euclid ones,can't do links but here's a picture and the item number.. 171115190689

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 1,138
Back