95 Kona Kilauea

ADBC

Retro Newbie
December 95: I remember the day I got my Kilauea. It came on my birthday with a note form the bike shop saying, "Enjoy your beast." I'd bought it with my student loan. (Is there anything better to spaz your student loan on?.. Maybe booze, I dunno, its close). Anyway after 4-5 years of heavy use but careful maintenance I left it in my Mum and Dad's garage as I was moving to London to live. This is when my brother found it and consequently ran it into the ground over the next 10 years or so. This was all that was left for me.(See pics KK_1/KK_3). The stem was shot, no back wheel, brake levers bent etc.. it took me a day just to get the pedals and seat stem off! . Its what little brothers do I guess. Except he's a lot bigger than me and I couldn't fight him.

August 2013: I moved to Los Angeles at the beginning of 2013 and took this bike/wreck with me as I was determined to restore it. I now live near some great trails and love the idea of riding a completely rigid bike next to all the massive suspension machines out now. I didn't go for a historic correct restoration as I'd upgraded the crank, gripshifts, front and rear derailleurs over the first 2 years of ownership. I kept these parts though and wanted to keep the P2's but I wanted to go thread less. (I'd always coveted Hope stuff)

The frame had gone yellow instead of the beautiful white pearlescent original colour. I wanted to just keep this a simple Black and White bike so got the frame powder coated white and fitted black components where I could. I know this is not one for the purists out there but at least the frame lives on... Those frames are just great and its the reason why I wanted to restore it and not just buy a new bike. I'm glad I did. It rides even better than I remember.

Attachments

• KK_11.jpg
    KK_11.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 554
  • KK_9.jpg
    KK_9.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 554
  • KK_8.jpg
    KK_8.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 553
  • KK_7.jpg
    KK_7.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 554
  • KK_6.jpg
    KK_6.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 555
  • KK_4.jpg
    KK_4.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 556
  • KK_3.jpg
    KK_3.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 557
  • KK_1.jpg
    KK_1.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 554
Cheers Spaceflightorange. The forks are gusset Jury SL's. I had to keep to a budget and got these for a really good deal.

ADBC":e64js6k0 said:
Cheers Spaceflightorange. The forks are gusset Jury SL's. I had to keep to a budget and got these for a really good deal.

Thanks. Great looking forks. I understand your love for all things Hope. Me too. Just something about their components.

Spaceflightorange. Just had a look at your GT. Very nice. I remember supercycles. I'm from Nottm originally. Are they still going?

ADBC":1fqnko2l said:
Spaceflightorange. Just had a look at your GT. Very nice. I remember supercycles. I'm from Nottm originally. Are they still going?

They're called Rock'n'Roll bikes now, apparently. The only time I ever visited was to get the Zaskar frame. I'm from Liverpool, so it was a 2 hour drive to get it. But the price was too good to pass up.

Back