Turquoise, Loopstays... 1992 Mongoose IBOC Team

shogun

Senior Retro Guru
I have loopstays and I'm turquoise blue (but I'm not a Yeti.)
I have rear facing plate dropouts and an aluminium fork (but I'm not a Klein.)
I have a forward facing seat tube slot and a dropped top tube (but I wasn't born in Canada.)

What am I? (TBH, its a pretty easy one)

IMG_20130822_104042.jpg

Re: Turquoise, Loopstays...

Quick! It was pretty easy though.
Yeah 1992 Mongoose IBOC Team, with the triangular section top tube. Currently its on its last leg of the trip from LA to Hobart, Australia.

I was pretty stoked to finally get hold of one, I had one back in the early 90s and hadn't seen another in the metal since. I take it they're pretty rare in the team version.

So I've bought the frame, original aluminium fork, a Manitou 2, M900 1-1/4" headset, M900 front derailleur and seatpost (think its a Moby).

I'm a bit unsure how to go forward building it up. My first one back in '93 had Manitou 1s, Araya RM20s in hard ano and a mix of M900 drivetrain with M732 thumbshifters, ATAC and Taperlites.

For this build so far I've collected:
- a pair of NOS Pace RC130 bars in blue, and a pair of yellow Tioga Biogrip IIs
-a silver Ringle Zooka 135x0° (quill)
- M900 STI and mid cage rear derailleur,
-blue Ringle front hub
-Smoke Classics.

Yet to buy some black or hard ano RM17/RM20s, M900 rear hub, M900 cranks and brakes.
Can't decide on a saddle, thinking flite, black turbo or fluro yellow turbo (might be too much?)

Really keen to get this thing together, these are super stiff but a really sharp handling bike for the time.

Congrats! It rides great with a manitou 2, took mine out for spin yesterday

Just make sure you buy a refresh kit with new elastomers, then it will be like new. They cost about 50 bucks but are worth it. (Make sure you get the old black rebound elstomers out of the inner legs because they turn into a sticky mess)

Thankfully this one has been rebuilt recently. I think I will run the rigid fork initially though while I look for a 1-1/4" Manitou 1.

Super cool and iconic frame.

Back in the day I applied for a Mongoose sponsorship hoping to get a deal on one of these frames, didn't happen.....I still love the design though!

Frame arrived! First time I've seen one of these in the flesh since about 1995.

Slotted the forks in and mocked up my LTS's Rhynolite wheelset, although this will have Silver M231 on M900 initially when they arrive (Black RM20s on M900/Ringle front eventually when I build them up). I also have the pristine original rigid fork.

Forkin' neat set of Manitou 3s...I will probably run the rigid fork however.

Triangliness

Loopy bits

International Bicycle Of Champions (to date I can't remember one of these podiuming anywhere important but thats of no consequence)

Has a few random, retro decals like the reflective Oakley one

Stem is paid for and should be on the way, blue Ringle front hub is in the post, wheels and M900 brakes are teed up, seatpost and front derailleur on the way. About all that's left to source is a good set of M900 cranks, some brake straddles and a Flite.

Ohhh thats pretty... Please oh please dont swap out that manitou 3... it just fits!

Love that frame, its going to look great all built up. I love hardtails though so if it was mine I would keep the Manitou on there.

I probably will initially. Sadly someone took a big chip out of the dust seal part of the crownrace so until I get another I won't be swapping the forks. TBH I really want a clean Manitou 1 to put on it, the 3 is a bit too new. At least the 3 has had a rebuild recently.

Back