Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:39 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:46 pm 
Gold Trader / PoTM Winner / RB Rider
Gold Trader / PoTM Winner / RB Rider

Location: Royal Forest of Dean (Still looking for the Bear !)
sd8450 wrote:
I am a newbie and have not seen an actual Yeti bike yet and curious to learn from the knowledgeable members. Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge!

Welcome to Retro bike buddy!

There's plenty of Yeti fans on here who are very knowledgable (far more than me)
as for the four steel frames/bike you have, you need to prepare yourself .....that will multiply over the winter whilst your wallet will get thinner as a result of finding this site

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:08 pm 
Retro Guru

slimjoe wrote:

This restoration is the most personal and important build ive done to date. I never gave up hope for the old rusty SHERPA :roll:

it was worth it :wink: ...nice story and cool bike.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:52 am 

Retro Spud wrote:
sd8450 wrote:
I am a newbie and have not seen an actual Yeti bike yet and curious to learn from the knowledgeable members. Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge!

Welcome to Retro bike buddy!

There's plenty of Yeti fans on here who are very knowledgable (far more than me)
as for the four steel frames/bike you have, you need to prepare yourself .....that will multiply over the winter whilst your wallet will get thinner as a result of finding this site

Thank you Retro Spud! :) I am a lurker and rarely make a post but already got bitten by the bug. I am looking at a mid 90s Yeti Pro FRO and this is why I got curious and posted the questions. It is similar to Slimjoe's bike, the only difference is the chainstay connection to the bottom bracket.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:49 am 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Great build, massive fan. Understated and classy.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:57 pm 
Old School Grand Master

I will add a little more information soon i promise...

Did i mention i treated the inside of all the tubes with rust killer...then pumped half a tin of Dinitrol inside it :wink:

The rear loopstays had no vent holes in them when new and i think moisture trapped in there had to get out somehow!! It didnt take too long on this frame unfortunately.

I think anyone wishing to maintain the integrity of an old steel frame should do something similar.

Frank drilled holes through the bottom bracket shell into the rear loopstays so any moisture can come out and the frame can breath a little. However mines that full of wax oil it will have a job :facepalm:

Also a good idea if anyone on here buys a brand new steel frameset. It is always best to treat the inside of the tubes from day 1 before the frame is built into a bike. The UK is a very, very damp environment and will destroy ferrous metal items!!! I know this from owning classic cars too.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:59 pm 
Old School Grand Master

superstu wrote:
Great build, massive fan. Understated and classy.

thankyou Mate, that is the kindest description of the SHERPA and my intention too 8)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:02 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

That is one sweet restoration. Very nice Yeti! Curious what stem that is.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:52 pm 
Old School Grand Master

RockiMtn wrote:
That is one sweet restoration. Very nice Yeti! Curious what stem that is.

The stem is a Critical Racing. It is gorgeous and 1 1/4" but unfortunately a wee bit long!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:55 pm 

slimjoe wrote:
I will add a little more information soon i promise...

Did i mention i treated the inside of all the tubes with rust killer...then pumped half a tin of Dinitrol inside it :wink:

The rear loopstays had no vent holes in them when new and i think moisture trapped in there had to get out somehow!! It didnt take too long on this frame unfortunately.

I think anyone wishing to maintain the integrity of an old steel frame should do something similar.

Frank drilled holes through the bottom bracket shell into the rear loopstays so any moisture can come out and the frame can breath a little. However mines that full of wax oil it will have a job :facepalm:

Also a good idea if anyone on here buys a brand new steel frameset. It is always best to treat the inside of the tubes from day 1 before the frame is built into a bike. The UK is a very, very damp environment and will destroy ferrous metal items!!! I know this from owning classic cars too.

Thanks for the detailed info and subscribing to this thread! :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:14 pm 
Old School Grand Master

No problem. Try and find a product called Fertan it treats rust and prevents further corrosion! Great for inside 20 + year old bikes

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next