It's all Retrobikes fault!! the new 1992 Wheeler 7700

agent29

Dirt Disciple
The bike bug has definatly bitten me once again, This is now my fourth purchase in a month. A Wheeler 7700 aluminium framed mtb with a Deore DX Groupset purchased off eBay. I have bought this with the intention of stripping the DX group and fitting it to my Kona Lavadome Restoration. The bike itself isnt in bad nick, it's all origional with a pink and black splatter paint job. It ammusingly has a sticker on the downtube stating where it was sold and serviced.

To my surprise it has come all the way from The bicycle entrepreneur... Perth, Australia :shock:

Anyway more photo's to follow later.

Attachments

• wheeler7700.jpg
    wheeler7700.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 3,214
Maybe you re-think your plan. You've bought a lovely bike there.

file.php

In all fairness since buying it I am undecided about stripping it. I did my research when I found it on eBay and the general consensus in the biking community was that Wheeler mass produced average frames of little or no significance but fitted high spec quality components. Armed with this information I had no issues about stripping a non descripped bike until I picked it up.

First impressions of the bike were good, it is completely original apart from the rear tyre. It's in very good nick apart from a worn middle ring, a few scrapes here and there and an out of true rear wheel.

I still want a DX group for the Kona but feel this may be too good to strip, besides it's also the right size for the missus. If I rescue this for the missus the Kona will be delayed, if I strip it to complete the Kona a part of me will most probably feel guilty!! I'm caught between the devil and the deep blue sea.

grat bike I saw this myself and also was interested in the parts - was out so missed the end of the auction! :facepalm:

Been there, done that. Picked up a Wheeler 9900 for the purpose of getting the XTR group off it. Debated for a while but in the end stripped and sold off. It helped that it was too big for me.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=102535

That being said and done, I picked up a smaller steel 8800 (in rough but sound condition) and built it up for a nephew to ride.

This frame for me is also too big and that almost decided its fate :twisted:

unfortunately it is a perfect size for the other half, and she wants a bike so she can keep up with me when we are out. She has taken a fancy to it for no other reason than it's lighter than the pile of poo she has already has.... and more importantly the fact that it's pink! :facepalm:

Nice I like it -- that would clean up nice -- you have some decision making to do ha ha, the dx would look nice on the lava dome as well tho.... I went about 15 years without a mountain bike, now I have four :shock: I blame retrobike also.......

Right a bit of an update, It wasn't really rideable when I got it. Gears were out by a mile and the wheels were not straight. Ive spent the last couple of days getting it rideable and I must say it rides very admirably. the rear cassette ring is loose but some tools appear to have gone walkabout so it will have to wait.

I may even treat it to a polish if I can muster up the impetus. :|

It has Deore XT M737 SPD's in good nick which are of no use to me as I dont use em. I'd be happy to swap them for serviceable DX pedals If any one has them? Condition is as per Photo.

Attachments

• IMG_2469.JPG
    IMG_2469.JPG
    95.5 KB · Views: 2,978
  • IMG_2468.JPG
    IMG_2468.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 2,974
  • IMG_2467.JPG
    IMG_2467.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 2,970
  • IMG_2465.JPG
    IMG_2465.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 2,973
  • IMG_2463.JPG
    IMG_2463.JPG
    74.8 KB · Views: 2,970
  • IMG_2457.JPG
    IMG_2457.JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 2,970
  • IMG_2458.JPG
    IMG_2458.JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 2,972
  • IMG_2464.JPG
    IMG_2464.JPG
    151.7 KB · Views: 2,974
Nice! My old sponsored bike. I had it in 1991 or just early 1992? Nice bike! Rode I lot of good races with it... :)

Back