1996 Kona Hahanna finished project two (pic heavy)

naboo

Devout Dirtbag
Im fairly new to retrobike, and recently (kind of) completed my 1st retrobike project, a tatty 03 firemountain i purchased from ebay, built on a tight budget on parts from here, ebay etc.
One of my purchases was a job lot barn find from gumtree for 25 quid, it included a very tatty, Hahanna frame and forks, so i decided to give in to the retrobike bug and started "project two" ;) :facepalm:

Again it's been a tight budget, and after damaging the paint further (trying to remove the seized seatpost, and it was seized!) and after polishing the aluminium framed firemountain i decided to go raw steel on this one.

Took for her 1st run yesterday, not too far as I had images of me stuck in the middle of the sticks with a pile of metal and handlebars in my hands, I was pleasantly surprised!, no nasty noises or creaks, reminded me of riding my rigid saracen as a kid.

Only problem I have is that I have clown feet and find my toes fouling the front wheel occasionally, other than that really happy :)

Anyway here are some pics, feel free to have a dig, and i know the saddle needs adjusting!

Somebody posted a link before on rust inhibitor but can't find it, been using battery terminal protector and its kept it at bay but supplies are getting low, any ideas?

Like that :)

Nice to see something different ... I had thought of lacquer over a bare steel frame but someone said it would just craze ??

Must be something you could use ...

That's a really cool looking build you've got there :cool:.

Not sure about protecting the bare steel though. Every time I've researched it I've concluded that it's a never ending hopeless cause. I've seen people talk about powder coating for £30, which might be a better option in the long run?

Regards

I really like the look of the raw steel, it looks great. I have had success in just spraying clear over it, it did not "craze" it looks great. Its just clear enamel.

Cheers for the comments!, I've thought about clearcoating it but wanted to see how I got on without it first, I don't want to paint it as I like the raw look on this bike but if it keeps going rat look ill attempt a rattle can clearcoat. I think the inhibitor was ls1 ? That I was advised on here but can't remember who posted it, they had a link to a cheap supplier!

The bike does ride beautifully, and was surprised by how well it shifted as I'm using a sram attack shifter with a short cage 105 shimano rear mech, it works beautifully and haven't dropped the chain once although I'm still looking to add a chain guide.

I too am planning on going raw steel on a bike of mine, I will probably clear it because I just dont want to worry about it rusting. I think sandblast, then hit it with some gritty sandpaper to give it that rough look, then clear over that.

Sounds like a plan! I used a combo of a wire wheel, sandpaper and wire wool, wasn't that bad. I clearcoated the forks originally but didnt like the look as much a treated raw steel, may have to settle for that though

Someone on here had a kona stripped then had it done with a clear coat with meta flake ?? It looked the biz... Sure it was an Explosif .. :cool:

Back