Univega AKA Moo Moo, Breaking news pg 6

Mr Universe

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Thought I'd pop up a few pictures of my univega mountain bike, seem to remember it was in the early 90's when I picked this up, all new and shiny and absolutely hammered the life out of it racing, touring and generally hooning around with my mates, happy days.

Over the years parts began to wear and the shiny paint got chipped, so rather than throw a perfectly nice bike away , I decided to keep her running and breath a new lease of life into the ol gal,

After dragging her out of the attic and giving it a good strip clean,I decided to put her together mainly to commute to work on for a change from a road bike, but ideally I want to return it to the dirt , albeit with some parts more in keeping with the vintage,

So to start with I'll put some pictures up of how she stands at the minute, I'll update the post when I start to do some changes.. hope you like her :)

Re: Univega 5 point something or other

I can see a fine bike in there somewhere.
My mate has got a Boralyn tubed Univega.

I like that , looks really cool

Mike

That paintjob is great!

Where and when did you get that done?

I'm a big Univega fan by the way ;)

Thank you for the positive and humorous comments guys, I was not too sure what people would think about my bike as its not exactly nothing flash or bling, thank you.

chrisv40 I did the paintjob myself about a year ago when I put her back on the road , the old blue and black paint was hammered and rust was starting to show in a few places , so I treated the rust when I prepared the frame and rather than do a straight forward paint finish I thought I'd do something a little off the wall, most of my mates thought I was loosing it but saw the funny side of the scheme, not sure if you noticed but I'd finished the bars and the edge of the seat to match the moo moo colour scheme, I see that you like univega's do you own a fleet of them ? as seems to be the way around these parts and do you have any pictures. ?

Mike thanks , I think it looks wicked :D , wold ranger generally on a good day she'll drop around 5 ltrs or so of beer :oops: sorry thats me... minor legend, remembered vaguely a Boralyn tubed bike in one of the magazines, but did'nt realize that it was a univega. ? have you any pictures, ? and yes she rides really nice :)

andyfloyd82 , I seem to remember it was a 5.7 , 966 or 996 tubing , foolishly I got rid of the original tubing stickers, either way its Moo moo tubing now :LOL:

ABCD0003-6.jpg

ABCD0004-10.jpg

ABCD0002-6.jpg

I need to take some new pics, it now has a higher rise and shorter Ritchey stem, FSA low riser bars and purple Hope hubbed Campag Stheno wheels.

I haven't a fleet a fleet of them only this one but my mate has just got a nice original 5.3 that he loves.

Chris that looks great , like the colour , I'm actually looking for a shorter higher stem for mine as I find I'm overstretched off road , see that you have changed to v brakes too :) do you find the bottom bracket pedal distance to the ground a problem ?

Mr Universe":6wcaoxnl said:
Thank you for the positive and humorous comments guys, I was not too sure what people would think about my bike as its not exactly nothing flash or bling, thank you.

chrisv40 I did the paintjob myself about a year ago when I put her back on the road , the old blue and black paint was hammered and rust was starting to show in a few places , so I treated the rust when I prepared the frame and rather than do a straight forward paint finish I thought I'd do something a little off the wall, most of my mates thought I was loosing it but saw the funny side of the scheme, not sure if you noticed but I'd finished the bars and the edge of the seat to match the moo moo colour scheme, I see that you like univega's do you own a fleet of them ? as seems to be the way around these parts and do you have any pictures. ?

Mike thanks , I think it looks wicked :D , wold ranger generally on a good day she'll drop around 5 ltrs or so of beer :oops: sorry thats me... minor legend, remembered vaguely a Boralyn tubed bike in one of the magazines, but did'nt realize that it was a univega. ? have you any pictures, ? and yes she rides really nice :)

andyfloyd82 , I seem to remember it was a 5.7 , 966 or 996 tubing , foolishly I got rid of the original tubing stickers, either way its Moo moo tubing now :LOL:

The tubing you have is 9/6/9 Racelite. Its a heat treated cro-mo with the same butt profiles as Columbus SL. Makes for a lightweight and flexible frame on the Univega I find. Here are some pics of mine....

IMAG0803_zps6f89f44f.jpg

IMAG0805_zpsbc2e8657.jpg

Back